Fails to load SVG

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Fails to load SVG

Post by sstehman »

I'm stumped. Never had this happen yet. I am trying to make grad cards using my design and another posted here. I am getting a "failed to load SVG" error? I am just simply importing the designs? I restarted computer. The files are on a folder on my desktop. Any clue to what might be happening? I am using SCAL 2. The only difference I see when trying to open the files is one file imag (created on my mac) has the orange svg logo and I use SCAL on a PC (and it shows the Inkscape logo). Never had the problem before? I am putting the ones I am trying to open here. The other think I notice is that on some other files I see the "preview", but I am not seeing it on these. Any thoughts are welcome.
Attachments
Grad Balloons 2011SS.svg
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
grad_woot.svg
(47.26 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Sandy in PA
sstehman

Re: Fails to load SVG

Post by sstehman »

Going to add another thread to this. Feel like I'm losing my mind today. Drew a basic shape in Inkscape. Chose Path - Object to Path. Chose Path - Union. Saved it as an Inkscape svg. Went to SCAL and chose to import image. Will not import. (I did all of this after breaking apart the svg's in the initial thread trying to see if one piece is the culprit, but apparently not. Do I have a step incorrect somewhere?
Sandy in PA
hellie0h

Post by hellie0h »

I had a go and dl your svgs. I opened them in ink, saved, then imported into scal2 with no problems. I hope someone comes along with some help for you. Sorry you are having this trouble.
balletcostumemom

Post by balletcostumemom »

Sometimes you will need to use path combine instead. No understanding of when or why. But also, sometimes you can just copy the design, open a new Inkscape. Paste the design there and save and it shows up. Again no rhyme or reason ever figured out but both sometimes work.
Windows XP, SCAL 2.102, Inkscape 0.47
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Tried your suggestions. Did anyone else ever have this problem, where files could be imported fine before? Funny thing is, some older files I have import fine, just seems to be the new ones? Checked my version. It says 2.041. How frustrating...didn't get any cards made yesterday as I kept trying to fix this.
Sandy in PA
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Both files import correctly into my SCAL 2.043. You can try the typical fixes: Copy/paste into a new file or Path/Union. Also, you said that you saved them as Inkscape svg, some people have said that saving as Plain svg works better for them (I'm thinking that they were Mac users).
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

I did create it on a Mac. I then opened in Inkscape in a PC (as that is where I have SCAL) and saved it as a plain svg. Others are telling me they imported into SCAL with no problem. I will open on my Mac today and save as a plain SVG then see if it will import into SCAL on my PC tonight. I did send the question to CraftEdge and the file and maybe they can advise the problem.

I couldn't open the grad_woot file that was posted on the forum either?

I did everything everyone suggested. Even just created a basic oval shape in Inkscape and it won't import that either. Really weird. I am downloading some new ones as they appear as I want to see if it happens with anything from this point on....

I also wonder if it is something in 2.041 version?
Sandy in PA
papasue

Post by papasue »

Sandy, both files imported into the same SCAL 0.43 file for me on my Mac.

Sorry don't know what else you can try except to upgrade to 0.43.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Did you make sure they didn't come in as white?? try checking to the side.. I know I had this happen a few times on my regular pc and ended up the white box was chosen and white outline..
sstehman

Post by sstehman »

Don't even get that far. The message I get says "failed to load svg". I can't load the grad_woot one either (the one you made the card from?) -- get the same message. It's is quite weird.
Sandy in PA