Help tracing and curving an image?

Requests for finding a Font or Shape to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
KatieK

Help tracing and curving an image?

Post by KatieK »

Hi Everyone-

I realize I am asking a lot here but I have a project I need to have finished for someone by 6:00 AM tomorrow morning so I am hoping someone more experienced can help me out a bit here.

I am wanting to put the attached file on a 16 oz. tumbler. The first thing I need help with is to turn this file into .svg for me...I'm having trouble getting it to trace nicely for me. :(

I also need to have the finished .svg to be curved slightly so it goes on the tumbler straight.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much
Kate
Iowa-logo.gif
Iowa-logo.gif (4.38 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
KatieK

Re: Help tracing and curving an image?

Post by KatieK »

I forgot to mention that I don't need the box around the image (just the words & the line below)

Thanks again
Kate
KatieK

Post by KatieK »

Hey everyone-

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to look at my post and what I need done here. I've been playing around since posting and I'm realizing the image is sligtly fuzzy (which is why I am having trouble converting it) :(

Are any of you "experts" at least able to convert it to .svg for me?

Thanks
Kate
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I think it would be best, since it is just text and not a graphic, to try to match the text as best possible, and just match things that way.

I don't know the specifics on curving the text tho.

Attached is my best guess at the fonts:
Attachments
Iowa_logo.svg
(33.55 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

It's probably too late for you, but I thought I would try to help anyway. Unfortunately, I use Ink 0.46 and I think most people use a more current version. I took the image DogCarbon made for you and tried to bend it. I went to Path > Path Effects > Click on the image > Selected bend path and apply. You should get a green line across the image. Pull down on the line until you achieve your desired effect. I think you then might have to select Path > Object to Path. Hope I didn't miss any steps. File is attached.
BendLogo.jpg
BendLogo.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
DogCarbon - I hope you don't mind that I changed your file. If you do, please let me know and I will remove.
Attachments
Iowa_logo_rs.svg
(67.68 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

I am using Ink 0.46, so if you try to do this with another version, it may be slightly different:

I used the above file, then highlighted the image.
Path/Path Effects/ Bend Path/ then click the "nodes"

I then get this line across the image that has two nodes on each end.
If you click and drag the line (just like you can do with any other segment in inkscape)
you can "warp" the image

When I got the image the way I wanted, I then "saved" this by using Path/Object to Path.
Attachments
Iowa_logo2.svg
(46.17 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
DogCarbon

Post by DogCarbon »

Oh, WOW! Great Minds think alike!

I went searching for how to warp the text and learned something new!

And we posted at the SAME TIME. And we are both using version 0.46! (just because I don't want to learn all the new bugs and work arounds!)

Thanks for teaching us too!
KatieK

Post by KatieK »

Thanks so much to all of you!!!

This is a great learning tool and should work great for the tumbler

Kate
KatieK

Post by KatieK »

Thanks again to everyone who is so willing to help me out with this!

I've been playing around with it this morning and the design that you helped me out with is GREAT, but the curve is a bit too much for the tumbler. The reason for this (I believe) is that I am trying to cut it at about 5.5 inches long...SO, I resize your 12 inch logo to about 5 1/2 and the image curves more as I resize...it doesn't really work to 'keep proportions' in SCAL as I want it so much smaller that the 12 inches.

When curving an image for a tumbler I try to use this template (but bare in mind, I'm learning still):
Tumbler Wrap-use.svg
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
However, with this image I can't figure out how to size it to 5.5 or 6 inches long and THEN curve it to the bottom/center part of the template.

Thanks so much for any help!
Kate
DogCarbon

Post by DogCarbon »

ok, I went back to my original Iowa logo.svg file (the first one posted)

In inkscape, I resized to 5.5" wide.

then imported the tumbler template to it's own layer.

I then Path/Path Effects/ Bend Path/ then click the "nodes"
to adjust to match close to the template.

And then I used Path/Object to Path...

hopefully this will work and be the right size.
Attachments
Iowa_logo3.svg
(70.79 KiB) Downloaded 102 times