Help...Vinyl mistake

For your help and questions
askmom
Location: PA; Mac snow Leopard V 10.6.4, SCAL 2, Inkscape V 0.48

Help...Vinyl mistake

Post by askmom »

Okay, so I just tried to do vinyl for the first time and goofed up :cry: I am making t-shirts for the kids for our Disney trip. I did black glitter vinyl in the Mickey head shape on a red shirt. It came out great. Then I went back to iron on my son's name below the Mickey head. Well I accidentally got some of the head with the iron and now there's a big white streak across it. The ears are still okay. So my question is this... can I salvage the shirt? I'm not sure if I have enough black glitter (I have silver) but if I do can I somehow just do the circle part of the head and lay it directly over the old one? Will this look strange?
Thanks for any help.
papasue

Re: Help...Vinyl mistake

Post by papasue »

Oh my, been there, done that.

I don't think that you can iron over vinyl with more..I could be wrong as I've not used the glitter vinyl.

What you might be able to do is "patch" it. If you still have the backing that you peeled off you could lay that over the good part and by hand cutting a piece to fill the boo boo and then iron again more over the new section.

Hope this helps, let us know.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
askmom

Post by askmom »

Hmm... this is making me wonder about something else. Sue (or anyone else) if I can't put more vinyl over the old than how do people layer vinyl? I was hoping to do the same head for my daughter but I was going to add a silver bow to make hers a Minnie head. Can I not do this?
papasue

Post by papasue »

Hi, I asked that question to the vinyl distributer of the vinyl I bought for fabric and they said "no" it wouldn't stick to itself. All you can do is go to the mfg's website and see if they say anything or contact them and ASK.

Some other folks have said that you could leave a "blank" space for the other colors and fill in but be careful to cover the bottom layer before you iron.

See this post for more: http://forums.surecutsalot.com/viewtopi ... nyl+fabric

That's what I know. Anyone else?
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

You can buy glitter paint for fabric so why not just patch it in with that?? Fill in the white with black..
askmom

Post by askmom »

Ooh...I'll have to look for the glitter paint. Although my son wants my husband and I to have shirts also. So I think I will be ordering more vinyl anyway ;)
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

i thought i saw where cardmakerleslie layered vinyl. HHmmmm . check out her site.
http://cardmkrleslie.blogspot.com
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
TheresaTT

Post by TheresaTT »

read this post http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=5215183
she talks about layering vinyl
Theresa
Windows 7, Scal 2.044( to use with my E ) , Expression, Inkscape 9, USCutter SC series cutter, Scal 4... Pro
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I am in a silly mood today, and I have an idea...
Lay the tshirt in your scanner and scan the boo boo white spot, and save as a .jpg.
Trace the outline of the boo boo in SCAL :)
With some scrap left over of your vinyl, cut a piece to match the boo boo.
Lay that cut piece in like a puzzle and put that paper backing on top like papasue said, and cover everything with it and now press again with the iron...primarily just over the patch :)
Linda

Post by Linda »

I did a hoodie for my Grandson and and wasn't thinking and put "were" instead of "where". Was able to get the vinyl off and redo it. I put regular paper over the vinyl and re-ironed it. The vinyl released from the hoodie and stuck to the paper. I then was able to redo it. I have no problems layering the vinyl.
Linda
Brookville, Pa.