Post by TOASTER »

I love that font!
Toaster

cameo, cricut expression, cricut create
SCAL 2 , SCAL 3, Windows 10
krainey

Re: Match for Nursery Rhymes cartridge font

Post by krainey »

Can you tell me how well the Harrington font cuts on a Cricut. I have the hardest time determining which fonts would cut well and which won't. What speed and pressure would one use for a font like this or fancier font? I know paper has a lot to do with it but I imagine that the fancier the font the more curves, curls, etc, the more one has to pay attention to at least speed... Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

The only fonts you must watch particularly are the ones with VERY fine lines, like a pen-type calligraphic stroke, or the grunge fonts, or any font that is "broken" where you must assemble lots of parts to make the whole. A font like this should cut fine with no special consideration for speed or pressure beyond that which you would normally choose for the type cardstock you enjoy. I've found that a good cardstock makes all the difference in the world. One with a bit of weight is helpful. Wal*Mart white cardstock gives me some problems as it has no texture at all, but I often use it for layering.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

krainey,
I would add a few things to Maggie's excellent advice.
- You can cut smaller with vinyl than you can with card stock, but there are still lower limits to size, generally in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch high neighborhood.
- Harrington is not particularly thin, nor is it of the "chunky" variety that make for effortless cutting/weeding. You should be fine using it at an inch high or larger. If you want to use it smaller than that (or if you start having trouble), I would suggest using the shadow feature (under the text palette appearance) to beef it up a little. This works with lot of fonts that would otherwise be too thin for cutting.
As far as speed and pressure, I go by the settings for the media, but slow down the speed if I start having issues. Hope that helps.

Toaster,
I love this font, too. It was one of the first decorative fonts I ever had. Ordered it on floppy disk, if that tells you how long ago it was. It was very popular about 15 years ago and seems to be enjoying a (well deserved, IMHO) revival of sorts now.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Oh, yes! I've "saved" many fonts i want to cut by simply added a small 'shadow' to chunk it up a bit, or if particular letters are problematic, I've substituted another similar font for that letter. Great thoughts! I don't think I know Harrington. I'll have to look it up.