Trying to blackout but now working - please help

For your help and questions
hrhicks

Trying to blackout but now working - please help

Post by hrhicks »

I am new to all this so please forgive me if I am being ignorant. I copied a svg file from one of the cd's from here - an award. I wanted to cut out the file as shown and then cut out a blackout in a different color to layer the images. I selected the image, changed it to the size I need, then selected blackout but when I cut it I get the same image as before - the one with all the details. Please help! Thank you!

Thanks!
Heather
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Re: Trying to blackout but now working - please help

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Did you remove the details from the duplicate copy???
hrhicks

Post by hrhicks »

See this is where my ignorance comes in. How do I remove the details from the copy? All I did was import the SVG file and make several copies of it so it would cut multiple images. I cut those out and now I want to get the blackout of those images so I can layer it. I selected the 1st image and then selected the blackout but I'm not really seeing any change ont the screen to the image and when trying to cut it, I get the same cut as the first - the one with all the details. How do I remove the details?
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Are all of the lines touching? If it has open areas (like the top center of the heart below) then blackout won't do anything. You could try using Shadow blackout, that will work if you set the shadow large enough to fill in any gaps. HTH
stencil.png
stencil.png (15.06 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
hrhicks

Post by hrhicks »

I don't think so. This is the file
Attachments
medail-1.SVG
medal
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Shadow should work to make a solid shape. Just adjust the size of the shadow until the outline is solid. HTH
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

hrhicks wrote:I am new to all this so please forgive me if I am being ignorant. I copied a svg file from one of the cd's from here - an award. I wanted to cut out the file as shown and then cut out a blackout in a different color to layer the images. I selected the image, changed it to the size I need, then selected blackout but when I cut it I get the same image as before - the one with all the details. Please help! Thank you!

Thanks!
Heather
There are multi layers on this svg, one you can't see. If you have Inkscape you can open it back up and use the outset function to enlarge the back layers. Then color them so you you can see them. I did however have to use the break apart function before I did the outset feature for the shadow
hrhicks

Post by hrhicks »

Alright, well it is obvious I have no idea what I am doing. I have looked under the layers area and the file doesn't show multiple layers. So I selected the object and selected Shadow and the object dissappears. I have tried blackout and I get the same thing. Originally it is there with no change so I change the size from 3 to 5 and even 15 to make sure I could see the lines but still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I really appreciate everyones help - I had no idea that this was that complicated.
(jecheck)

Post by (jecheck) »

select the medal... go to Object -> Break Apart. When you do this, the medal will get (should get) noticeably darker. That is because there are 2 "layers". click on each piece of the medal to delete 1 layer. Then group the pieces together, change the appearance to shadow and increase shadow until it is all one piece - to cut it together, make sure you enable Weld
http://www.cougarrx.com

All my files are for non-profit use only... use them, share them, give them as gifts, but don't sell them
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

hrhicks wrote:Alright, well it is obvious I have no idea what I am doing. I have looked under the layers area and the file doesn't show multiple layers. So I selected the object and selected Shadow and the object dissappears. I have tried blackout and I get the same thing. Originally it is there with no change so I change the size from 3 to 5 and even 15 to make sure I could see the lines but still nothing. What am I doing wrong? I really appreciate everyones
help - I had no idea that this was that complicated.
What I did was see if it was multi layers and opened up Inkscape and then used path break apart then movedout two of the top layers off to the right. I colored one of the bottom layers dark green so you could see it and left the other layer invisible with just a dotted box showing that it is there. I have attached a jgp of the snippet I took of the file
Hope this helps
Attachments
lessononlayers.JPG
lessononlayers.JPG (33.42 KiB) Viewed 3388 times