The Ability to Import from Design Studio

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
Shelley

Re: The Ability to Import from Design Studio

Post by Shelley »

Hmmm... OK. I have the full version of DS (which I don't even use anymore) and SCAL. I just installed the trial version of MTC (litterally just now ;) )

So I can only back up carts that I own? I guess it won't be too long, and we will be able to have any cart we want, weather we own it or not??? ;)
..."you had the power all along"...
from The Wizard of Oz

Care_911

Post by Care_911 »

My understanding (I asked a few questions at the MTC forums) is that yes, you can use MTC as a newer and better DS. Ie. you can save images on your carts that you already own as svgs, and you can manipulate and combine them as in DS without the need for cart swapping. The kicker though is this, (at least to my admittedly limited understanding), you *do* have to own DS in order to do the svg "back ups". Or the trial version, but if you have a lot of carts, I'd say you're in for a lot of sleepless nights, and that is if you don't have a job, lol.

Also, for anyone who is interested, it can apparently work with a number of other cutters. Silhouette, Wishblade, Craft Robo, Gazelle (I think), you'd have to check out the exact ones but it will cut with machines other than cricut.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is true or not or how well it works (if it is better hope cricut DOESN'T find out because they *will* go nuts) I saw on one board (not the MTC forums) there is apparently a way through DS to get images of carts you don't own through some sort of screen capturing procedure.

Just FYI. And to be clear, here, I am NOT trying to steal anyone away from Todd or SCAL... I love scal and this place. (And our forums are way better.) I'm offering this because I know there are probably a lot of frustrated DS owners out there, and this is a way to solve that. Otherwise, there isn't a difference between the two programs.
Care_911

Post by Care_911 »

This is just a paragraph copied from the tutorial on how to back up carts.

System Requirements for Cartridge Backup feature
1. Purchase Make The Cut (Backup will not work in Trial version.)
2. Working Cricut Machine with power and USB cables hooked up.
3. Cricut mat matching the size of the virtual mat used to create your backup file.
4. Cartridges to be backed up
5. One of the following two options:
A. Cricut Design Studio Trial, Juke Box, and the original cartridge shipped with
the Cricut
OR
B. Purchase Cricut Design Studio
6. Computer using Windows XP, Vista, or Win 7
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

We say 'carts you own' but the reality is 'any cart in your possession'. I imagine there will be a lot of cart sharing among friends who know about MTC. And unlike the Gypsy, which bonds a cart with itself, carts work with any machine. Maybe that will be PC's next move, bonding carts to a specific machine. Although that won't really stop anyone who wants to do this.

Most of the folks here are very familiar with the screen capture method of getting cart shapes. It's time consuming (IMHO), and personally, I think if there are carts you like that well, it's only ethical to buy the thing.

No one thinks you are trying to 'steal' people away from here, lol! The programs are very similar and a lot of folks read both forums. I do find it kind of amusing (on the MTC forum) that users go all spastic when SCAL puts out an update that incorporates something MTC has done and go all 'Todd copied you!'. Then in the next breath ask Andy to put in a feature that SCAL has, basically telling him to copy Todd. MTC diehard fans are rabidly loyal, I have to give them that.
Last edited by sandyj on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Care_911

Post by Care_911 »

LOL I completely agree with you, on all points.

Todd and the carts--as you pointed out, it's a hassle, but as much as I feel online sharing is fine, and while I'm perfectly willing and happy to bypass DS and use another product, I think taking newly released carts is a bit much, and if they are good enough to buy, I'm willing to purchase them. ;)
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

I own a couple of cartridges and have no desire to buy any others. Most of the designs are very simplistic and can easily be recreated.

SCAL and Inkscape allow me to design and create anything my little old brain can dream up and with all the talented designers that share their fab cutting files here on CE, I haven't even been tempted to spend $ for anything PC is selling.
cydnew

Post by cydnew »

tessieluv, you will actually open the file you want in Inkscape like normal. If it is a pdf it will then allow you to "save as .svg". I think there are only certain types of pdfs that will do this, so they might not all work, but a lot of the old cricut handbooks were saved in the correct pdf format, so if you have those you can convert them to .svgs.
As mentioned though, this is still time consuming. I personally still buy carts if they have more than 15 or so images that I will use because it isn't worth my time to try and copy that many images; so many of the new cartridges are plumb full of images that it would take me FOREVER if I were to try and copy them all.

And I am sure that PC is aware of the DS/MTC back-up function and already has something in the works to prevent it.
HillsboroHoppers

Post by HillsboroHoppers »

There is a big discussion (ok, a near riot) over on the provocraft website today. They have sued the maker of MTC over this very issue. The concensus has been that they have not sued SCAL's maker because it does not allow users to (directly) steal their cartridge images, while MTC tells users HOW to steal them.
Elaine K

Post by Elaine K »

I am pretty sure this is the issue behind the lawsuit against Make the Cut..................my advise...just buy all 3 and keep everyone happy....and yes i do have all three