Scal partially importing image

For your help and questions
Col

Scal partially importing image

Post by Col »

I have a dahlia image I keep trying to import but Scal will only import the leaf. What am I doing wrong?
Dahlia.2.svg
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
Tingha Treasures

Re: Scal partially importing image

Post by Tingha Treasures »

Hi all I can see is a one leave or a petal?
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I opened it back up in Inkscap and it had groups. I only have scal 1. and mine doesn't recognize groups, so I ungrouped and saved again and imported it ito Scal and all was there. If you have SCAL 2. you'll need to ask someone who has that.

Grammy

Re:
One other thing I forgot to say is your leaf is in two parts and has lines that need connected.
Last edited by GrammyKrausse on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorysnonna

Post by Rorysnonna »

I am not sure what was wrong. all I did was move it all onto the page and made sure the stroke and fill was black. It opens fine now on my scal 2. hope this helps
Lysa
Attachments
Dahlia.3.svg
(7.76 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Col

Post by Col »

Thanks Lysa,
Could you explain how you did your magic so if it happens again I can fix the problem?
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I know the two Scals work different but how does the leaf cut? Mine shows it has two parts. Being in SCAL 2 does it auto connect the broken lines? Would be a great feature. But someday might buy and really would be great if it did that .
Here is a screen capture I did
Attachments
Dalhlia 2.JPG
Dalhlia 2.JPG (52.35 KiB) Viewed 8620 times
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Not sure which version of scal you are using, but I can only help you with scal 2 as that's what I have on my computer. Attached is the scut file for Scal 2 with all three pieces shown in layers with different colors. Just hide the other layers before you cut each one by clicking the eye on the right side of the screen under the layers. Hope that helps. If not, I have the three layers saved as svg files and can send them to you or upload if you need them.
Attachments
Dahlia 2.scut
Dalia saved with scal 2
(9.37 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

Hi Delores
I have been debating on Scal 2 since it came out. I am so happy with 1 I'm almost leary of changing now, but need to ask the question about the daliah that is online. When you recreated the svg from the original and imported it into SCAL 2 and saved it as a SCUT file did it fix the broken line in the leaf. and I guess question 2 is I have to ungroup before importing svg's in SCAL 1. Do you have to ungroup before importing in Scal 2. When I had to ungroup it allows me to see broken lines in the leaf, but if it lets it cut correctly in SCAL 2 that might just sway my wanting to buy it.
Grammy ;)
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I didn't try the scut file, but the Dahlia3 file does not cut right. It looks fine in the preview, but still cuts the extra line.
Grammy do you use AI? I think SCAL2 works better with open shapes from AI, but I don't have AI so I can't test it myself.
If you do work with design layers that need to be lined up (score, marker, cut) it is well worth the upgrade. Importing svg files at the size they were made at is also fantastic.
You don't need to ungroup before importing into SCAL2. In fact, if you use groups in your svg file, SCAL2 will create a layer for each group.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

thanks Heather for the info. I was wondering about SCAL 2 with groups. Still thinking about the upgrade though.
Grammy