How Do I Ungroup an SVG image imported into SCAL?

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Sure Cuts A Lot
KristineMc

Re: How Do I Ungroup an SVG image imported into SCAL?

Post by KristineMc »

I Too am having FRUSTRATING problems with this Layering business, I looked on the TT someone posted on their blogg, and I don't have anywhere under layers that it says that I can do Layers or CTR,SHIFT L, And I just downloaded the new version last night. HELP
Kristine
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

When you open SCAL2 look at the top where it has Edit, object, layer and so on.. Hit on the one marked Window hit on workspace and hit on Advance.. That will open the layers window up..
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

KristineMc wrote:Hi, I am a newbie too and an uploading SVG files, Mine don't have different layers, but there are different peices that need to be cut onto different cardstocks, and I can't figure out how to ungroup them in Sure Cuts a LOT, or if I am to do layers I don't get the layer window at all.
Please help
Thanks
Kristine
If the svg file isn't made with layers, you won't be able to separate it in SCAL. If the colors are stacked like a paper piecing (without layers), you will need to open the svg in Inkscape and move the pieces for cutting.
I like to put as many pieces on my virtual mat as will fit. I cut the papers a little bigger than the pattern and use the virtual mat as a guide for where to put them. See below for an example.
mary jane placement.png
mary jane placement.png (91.97 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
KristineMc wrote:I Too am having FRUSTRATING problems with this Layering business, I looked on the TT someone posted on their blogg, and I don't have anywhere under layers that it says that I can do Layers or CTR,SHIFT L, And I just downloaded the new version last night. HELP
Kristine
Are you having problems in SCAL or Inkscape? Control shift L brings up the layers control in Inkscape, I don't think it will do anything in SCAL2. If you are still having problems, please give us more info on what you are using and what you are trying to do. HTH
chasar

Post by chasar »

Ok, i figured something out here. '
When i opened up an svg file in scal2, i was not able to ungroup items. So i went to inkscape to ungroup them. Once upgrouped in inkscape and saved, i'm able to ungroup in scal. Hope that helps anyone.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

did you save each individual piece in separate files???
chasar

Post by chasar »

Nope. I ungrouped them in inkscape, saved it as an svg file and then when i imported it into scal2, i was able to ungroup.
Sweetness4713

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Okay Im really confused here.. when I check out the ungrouped option in SCAL2 it's not highlighted.. I clicked around all the images.. I must be doing something wrong.. grrrrr... I always import each piece in jSCAL separate but obviously there is an easier way to this.. I followed the tutorial for this but i"m still boggled..LOL I'll have to go reread when I"m wide awake..
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I would guess that chasar had an svg with vectors on layers that were grouped together. Once the vectors were ungrouped, SCAL2 could use the layers.
Sweetness4713

Post by Sweetness4713 »

Okay so I'm not losing it afterall..LOL :P :shock:
chasar

Post by chasar »

I was having the same problem with the ungroup option not highlighted. And i still don't really understand this whole saving layers thing.

I had svg files that i ungrouped in inkscape (did not save them as separate layers, i saved them as one file). Then the ungroup image was highlighted in scal2.

What i realized was that if i had an image that was one unit and imported it into scal2, i couldn't ungroup. When i ungrouped in inkscape and then grouped again before saving, i still couldn't ungroup in scal2. By accident, i had forgotten to group a file after working on it and when i imported into scal2, i was able to ungroup. Go figure.

So here is exactly what i did in summary;
Open image in inkscape.
Ungroup layers and move them around as you'd like.
Save as one file (don't group them together before saving).
Import that file into scal2.
Now the ungroup option should work.

I hope this helps.
BTW, HeatherM showed me how to look at the bottom of your inkscape screen where it tells you how many layers there are in your file. There were some files i had where i had to delete some layers in order to work with the root image. Only then can it be imported into scale2.