Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Post by HeatherM »

This isn't really an upgrade, it is a whole new program. Any of the other programs that I have purchased upgrades for, when I installed them they REPLACED the previous version and I no longer had the original. SCAL 2 does have some bugs, but it also has huge potential for design possibilities.
GrammyKrausse

Post by GrammyKrausse »

I have many many software programs for Graphics. I have been an owner of Paint Shop Pro long before Coral bought them out and I have always had to pay for the Upgrade. I learned a long time ago that when they have patches or updates they will send out info on the patch and I never have to pay for that but the Upgrades are different, They are stand along exe. for their software. This seems to be the same for my Family Treemaker, my Bernina Software, Adobe etc. Just like Microsoft called it Windows then it first came out then it bounced around and I can remember a Windows 2005 then 2007 and now the ugley Vista. Seems now they are coming out with a new one. And if you want them and are not planning on buying a new computer you have to buy each one, and you pay dearly for it on another computer in you houe. And after buying MSWord 2007 recently 30 is a exceptional price.

I bought SCAL when it first was advertised at a lower price like this seems it was maybe 50 dollars or so and have never regreted it. I am waiting to see on the next version though if they are going to add the ungroup and break apart feature. I have the layers option in Cricut Software I don't use and figured I wouldn't use it here so for now I'll wait.
Grammy
scrpbooklady

Post by scrpbooklady »

Group/Ungroup is included in SCAL2. Break apart is not.
ARobalik

Post by ARobalik »

Hi All! I am a brand new noobie to SCAL - actually I haven't even bought it yet but am ready to hit the purchase button. I already have the Cricut Expression AND Cricut Design Studio and am very comfortable using both.

Can anyone tell me if I buy SCAL 2.0 as the download - am I still going to get a CD and some type of manual? Or is it JUST the download?

I have already downloaded the free trial version of SCAL 2.0 but haven't played with it at all.

Also do I NEED to have Inkscape to use SCAL 2.0?

Is there some type of tutorial or FAQ list that I can reference?

Thank you so much in advance for any and all advice!

Ann Marie
quitfamily

Post by quitfamily »

I think you will receive just the download for $75 as the download and Disk are $95.

You don't need to have inkscape to try your SCAL 2. trial. SCAL 2. has its own tracing feature and it is awesome.

Hopefully others that have more experience working with 2.0 will answer also.

Check out my blog for a large, large list of sites that offer FREE SVG files.

Sandee Q.
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

ARobalik wrote:Can anyone tell me if I buy SCAL 2.0 as the download - am I still going to get a CD and some type of manual? Or is it JUST the download?
There are some places that offer both, but the Craft Edge website only offers the download.
ARobalik wrote:Also do I NEED to have Inkscape to use SCAL 2.0?
You don't need it, but you might want it (it's free). There are a lot of free svg files both on this forum and at various site on the web. However, if you learn Inkscape you can have more control and easy access to anything you can dream up or find online.
scrpbooklady wrote:Is there some type of tutorial or FAQ list that I can reference?
There is a tutorial section on this forum. Firstcut also has a master list of videos and a tutorial guide on her blog. http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/images-to-svg/ HTH
ARobalik

Post by ARobalik »

Heather thanks for the reply - a few more questions if you don't mind?

Why does Craft Edge (who makes SCAL) not offer the CD and manual?

Do most people just buy the software?

Do they buy it from a licensed reseller to get the CD/manual?
HeatherM

Post by HeatherM »

I can't say why they don't offer a CD. I think the majority of people just do the download. I know that when my computer crashed and I had to re-install everything that I didn't even bother looking for my CD, I just went to the site and downloaded it. I think you could probably burn your own CD if you wanted to.

There is a manual available through the help menu of SCAL. If anyone offers a manual, they probably just printed it from the in program version.
NurseMel

Post by NurseMel »

No offence to anyone...but for those that are saying it's not fair offering a limited time on the $30 increase because of the bugs...think about this...Todd will now do updates for SCAL 2 just like he did for SCAL 1 to work out the bugs. SCAL 1 ended up going to version 1.016 that is 15 updates people!! The bugs will be worked out, so if you want the upgrade, buy it now and just continue to use SCAL 1 until the bugs are ironed out and then go and update to the latest version...which will be free!!

Every company makes you pay for upGRADES!! Be fair about this, obviously a lot of work has gone into the Upgrading of SCAL to Version 2, and I for one am happy to pay for it. No other company offers you a discounted price, nor do they offer those who have recently bought it an upgrade for free..NONE of them do. And I can assure you that when PC bring out the UPGRADED version of CDS it will cost you more than the original version of CDS did also, with NO DISCOUNTS. Right now, they have just been updated the first version, exactly the same way that Todd has been updating SCAL 1 for us.

For now you still have a choice, SCAL 1 is a great program so if you don't want to pay for SCAL 2 then you can continue using SCAL 1. If you want more, then you pay for it!! SCAL 2 does so much more and is more than worth the $30 for the upgrade.

Please think about what you say here, not sure if Todd reads this, but heck, not all of us want him to think that we are ungrateful for his hard work.

THANKS TODD!!!!
MandyKay

Post by MandyKay »

I love SCAL 1. As a Mac user it is my only answer to the Provocraft programme, the name of which escapes me temporarily.

But looking at SCAL 2, it has some great new features that I would love to have. So as soon as the Mac version comes out I will be getting it.

When will the Mac version be coming out? :D