Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
IrisM

Re: Sure Cuts A Lot 2.0 For Windows

Post by IrisM »

I am playing with the trail right now and I love most of the updates.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems more difficult to weld a word together now. I can't seem to figure out how to type the word, then weld the letters of that word together. The only way I seem to be able to do it, is to type each letter seperately, then come back and weld the word together. Only this way, can I move each individual letter closer to each other so that the word is actually welded together.

Am I doing something wrong here?
jeannestein

Post by jeannestein »

IrisM wrote:I am playing with the trail right now and I love most of the updates.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems more difficult to weld a word together now. I can't seem to figure out how to type the word, then weld the letters of that word together. The only way I seem to be able to do it, is to type each letter seperately, then come back and weld the word together. Only this way, can I move each individual letter closer to each other so that the word is actually welded together.

Am I doing something wrong here?
That's the same problem I encountered. I never tried version 1.0, so I wasn't sure really what to do, but I'm surprised because welding is more simple in CDS.
Kath Smith

Post by Kath Smith »

Hi Todd

I am one of those frustrated scal users who having problems cutting some scut files. I purchased some files from the Sure Cuts a Lot website which worked when i first received them, but then my machine started cutting the files, would beep and the mat would then reject from the machine, leaving the cutting with cricut message on the screen of my pc, which I then had no option but to cancel the cut. I updated my firmware to v 2.32, which did not work, I contacted sure cuts a lot and they very kindly sent me a link to take my firmware back to v 2.3 and a replacement for one of the files I had purchased but I am still having the same problem. I am running windows xp on my pc so any help would be appreciated. Do you think upgrading to version 2 of sure cuts a lot would resolve my problem?

Thanks in advance Todd

Kath
IrisM

Post by IrisM »

Well so far I think this Version 2.0 is awesome.

Some things I am noticing:

• The fonts drop down table is much smaller and I can't seem to find a way to make it bigger. My eyes are not that great so smaller is not better for me.

Welding a simple word together is not as easy as it used to be. If I were to go by the help menu, it doesn't exactly weld like I want it to. If I type the word out first, then try to weld, I can't seem to choose the individual letters any more to move them where I want them to be. I can type each letter seperately first, then group together to make the weld. Just seems like a bit more hassle than it had been before

It seems we must select between the text tool box and the select box. Not too much of a biggie but it could be a pain.

I like the mutiple page feature although I haven't made cuts from more than one page, will have to wait to get home to see how that works

Trace Image feature is really neat

Group, Ungroup is awesome

Zoom feature has definitely improved

nice that we can change the orientation of the mat

All in all, the upgrade seems great. I just wish I could manipulate the individual letters a bit easier when a word is typed all together. Maybe I am doing something wrong and haven't figured it out yet, but I am not the only one having some trouble in this area.
pixiedustcreations

Post by pixiedustcreations »

I agree free offer should apply to last 90 day purchases or last year. I am on tight budget and had to save save save to even get version one. Now I have to save to get version 2. Computer software normally always has free upgrades otherwise we would be paying money just about every month to get updates and upgrades. Dont get me wrong $30 is not much and I am sure worth his time in creating it , but I am broke. I had to wait months to get version 1 and scope out resellers to get the best deal now I am sad because it is outdated after only having 2 months.
IrisM

Post by IrisM »

jeannestein wrote:
momaloy wrote:Is there a way in the version 2.0 to select each individual letter in a word? If I want to space some letters farther apart, doesn't seem like I can figure out how to get the individual letter like I could in the previous version...

Mo in IA
I'd be interested in this answer. I downloaded the trial. I do like it, but welding a word correctly seems difficult. I can't get the letters to overlap quite the way that looks the best.

Thanks!
I saw this posted in another board and it seems to solve the problem we were having.

Type the word out first. Then using the select tool, select the entire word and then "ungroup". This will allow you to move the individual letters closer so you can have the weld you want. Then "group" the word back together again and hit weld. Works like a charm.

I can't take credit for this, it is from the following blogger:

http://las-cricut.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... 1200527429

Just watch the second video about the font feature and it shows you what you need to do.

Now I LOVE the new version completely!!! (well, ok, make the font drop down list a bit bigger please)
dgharris573

Post by dgharris573 »

LOVE LOVE LOVE the update. Best $30 spent in a long time. Tip for those having trouble welding your words. When you type in your letters, go to the properties box, go to the text section, and use the tracking option. This seems to squish the letters together (or apart) proportionately, it's really cool.
jeannestein

Post by jeannestein »

IrisM wrote:
I saw this posted in another board and it seems to solve the problem we were having.

Type the word out first. Then using the select tool, select the entire word and then "ungroup". This will allow you to move the individual letters closer so you can have the weld you want. Then "group" the word back together again and hit weld. Works like a charm.

I can't take credit for this, it is from the following blogger:

http://las-cricut.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... 1200527429

Just watch the second video about the font feature and it shows you what you need to do.

Now I LOVE the new version completely!!! (well, ok, make the font drop down list a bit bigger please)
Woohoo!!! I think I *need* to get SCAL now! :)
mommyto3bugs

Post by mommyto3bugs »

pixiedustcreations wrote:I agree free offer should apply to last 90 day purchases or last year. I am on tight budget and had to save save save to even get version one. Now I have to save to get version 2. Computer software normally always has free upgrades otherwise we would be paying money just about every month to get updates and upgrades. Dont get me wrong $30 is not much and I am sure worth his time in creating it , but I am broke. I had to wait months to get version 1 and scope out resellers to get the best deal now I am sad because it is outdated after only having 2 months.
There is a difference between an upGRADE and an upDATE. You get free upDATES to programs and Todd has always offered free updates. When Microsoft sends out updates to Vista, those are free. But you will not be getting a free upGRADE to Windows 7, I assure you. Same thing with imaging software like Photoshop. When the new version comes out, you pay a pretty penny for the Upgrade! You don't get the new version for free because you bought an older version 3 months prior.

"Outdated" as it may seem, version 1 is still a very good program and there is no reason you can't keep using it and save for the upgrade in the meantime.
Sarah St. - The Netherlands
SCAL 1 and 2 user

Post by mtscrap »

There is a difference between an upGRADE and an upDATE. You get free upDATES to programs and Todd has always offered free updates. When Microsoft sends out updates to Vista, those are free. But you will not be getting a free upGRADE to Windows 7, I assure you. Same thing with imaging software like Photoshop. When the new version comes out, you pay a pretty penny for the Upgrade! You don't get the new version for free because you bought an older version 3 months prior.
well, usually a firm like Microsoft or Adobe gives you some advance notice when they are working on a new product or version, so that you can make a decision whether to buy or wait how ever many months until it's released. Was there any notice here? I would've waited the few mths for the new version myself had I known that it was in the works. KWIM?