George and Basic Shapes already on Cricuts!

For your help and questions
talanhart

George and Basic Shapes already on Cricuts!

Post by talanhart »

I read this awhile ago and forgot all about it until I read the post yesterday about a member not having a cartridge and our machines needing a cartridge loaded for SCAL to work. I looked on the web and I found out how to make this work. I don't have a George Cart and I don't need one. I made a jumper for my Cricut and it works. The picture shows my Screen with the George and Basic Shapes information. It's blurry, because my camera doesn't focus fast enough.
Edited to add this from one of the last posters in this topic. Probably the best way to do this
15 minutes...scissors...old atlantic city slot card cut to 2"....glued on square of foil about 1" wide and 1 1/2" high...let dry a little.....pushed a/c card into slot of cricut.....IT MAKES MARKS ON THE TIN FOIL (lol) cut out around marks. When the foil is touching 2,3 and 5 the foil should be facing away from you. If the foil is facing you, you will be connecting 6,8 and 9.
Last edited by talanhart on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Todd
kelsie94

Re: George and Basic Shapes already on Cricuts!

Post by kelsie94 »

That's cool! Hmmm, I wonder how many more carts we could figure out that way! I think anyone who has purchased the Baby Bug has the George Cart. It comes with the machine. The Expression has the Accent Essentials and Plantin Schoolbook (well, the original one did.....I hear they are selling them cheaper now but with only one cart instead of two)

Thanks for letting us know, Todd!
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

This only works for George and Basic Shapes. All the other cartridges from what I understand have information on them.
Todd
kelsie94

Post by kelsie94 »

That's too bad although with SCAL we no longer need the carts, and not too sure I want to be putting too many paperclips in my machine. I'm not mechanically inclined so that would spell disaster for me LOL!!!
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Kelsie,
I know what you mean about the paper clip. I was a little leary myself. The paperclip did work, but I won't be using it again. I found a terminal strip here at work and I cut off a piece and I will be using that. The tabs are the same thickness as the board inside a cart and I won't have to fiddle with it to get it to work. This piece will pop in and out just like a CART.
Todd
Melmo

Post by Melmo »

Thanks Todd, I just made one with foil and cardboard and it worked just like you said. I normally only use SCAL, however, I have just learned to use the centerpoint feature to cut around things in photos and the shapes on this cartridge are just what I need.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge once again!
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

Foil and cardboard. Great idea. Did you glue the foil to the cardboard?
Todd
Melmo

Post by Melmo »

Yes I glued the foil onto cereal box cardboard and then cut connected strips, worked like a charm. Don't know how long it will last, but it will work until I can get a thin metal strip.
Craigg64

Post by Craigg64 »

Here is another method I found
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50166503@N00/476971461/
And the picture of the actual cartridge
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50166503@N ... 156419851/
Obviously it didn't matter which way the original cartridge went it.
Haven't tried it my self yet :)
Cheers
Craig

Windows Vista, Scal2 2.043, Inkscape 0.46
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

That is the same photo that I saw at Flckr. I also read the comments and the third one states that you only have to connect the front three or the back three for it to work, which is true.
Thanks for sharing,
Todd