SCAL 5, macOS 10.15, and Pazzle Inspiration

For your help and questions
TheMacCutter

SCAL 5, macOS 10.15, and Pazzle Inspiration

Post by TheMacCutter »

Hello all,

I finally got around to upgrading to SCAL 5 from SCAL 4 after upgrading the software on my Mac without realizing that SCAL 4 was 32-bit and the update would kill SCAL 4.

Oh well. Things happen and it's not the end of the world.

However, now I cannot get SCAL 5 to see the Pazzle Inspiration cutter that I was previously using. I got it to the point where the computer can see the cutter in System Information (both using and not using a hub per Pazzle's website), but every time I try to send a project to cut, the software tells me that it can't find the cutter. I've attached screenshots to show what I'm talking about. :D

The setup was always a little finicky with macOS 10.14, but I was able to get it to work. I don't know if anybody here has run into the same issue. All of the software is as up to date as I can make it. This machine doesn't support anything past Catalina.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 3.41.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 3.41.16 PM.png (100.88 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 3.40.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 3.40.01 PM.png (57.09 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL 5, macOS 10.15, and Pazzle Inspiration

Post by SandyMcC »

I read on a SCAL support group last night that other cutters have stopped working correctly after the customer's Macs were updated. I recommend first going to Pazzles to see if they have an updated driver for their cutters. I know that some of the cutters I support do require updated drivers for both Windows 10 and Mac Catalina.

At the same time, you can also try installing the latest SCAL4 because it WAS made 64 bit compliant in the last few releases. Use this link to enter your SCAL4 registration code and then you'll get a link to download the latest one:

http://craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

Also, it might be helpful to verify if Pazzles Invue software is working. Even if you don't like using it, just installing and testing will verify if it's a SCAL5 issue versus a driver issue in Mac.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
TheMacCutter

Post by TheMacCutter »

Thank you for the response!

I've gone to Pazzle's website and followed the terminal instructions that they gave me with no luck. I don't have the inVue software as the machine is second-hand from my mother-in-law who found it too complicated to use and all she had was the old software that doesn't work with the newer macOS. I downloaded and installed it hoping that there was a demo version built into the program that I could test, but no such luck.

I didn't know that SCAL 4 got updated to 64-bit as I apparently hadn't been keeping it up to date before I updated the OS as, with a toddler and apartment living, I didn't get to play with it as much as I would have liked. :roll: Thanks for the pointer on that. I'll update it and see if that fixes it and then check back in.
TheMacCutter

Post by TheMacCutter »

So, I tried downloading the last version of SCAL 4 from that link, but no luck. The install file is 64-bit and runs without problem, but SCAL 4 is still a 32-bit application.

According to a post on USCutter, it appears as if the SCAL 4 Pro is 64-bit, but not the regular version. So It would appear that we’re both right on some level. :)

If I can get the little one down for a nap today, I’m going to retry the steps from Pazzle. Some research Leads me to believe that the driver file the machine is looking for is in a deprecated format and I may need to try to get the FTDI driver working and skip using the other driver. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Will report back when I can.
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Thanks for letting me know about SCAL4 vs SCAL4 Pro not being updated to 64 bit. I only have SCAL4 Pro installed.

Good luck with getting a driver installed. It's such a pain to deal with things like this. But I do think that Pazzles is probably your own resource since it's their machine.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/