SCAL 5Pro and Catalina

For your help and questions
Createinspain

SCAL 5Pro and Catalina

Post by Createinspain »

I am using the latest update for Catalina now and the latest version of SCAL5Pro.

I did try sending some emails to support directly but I think they may be going in the junk file, since I have not had a reply, hence my writing here.
Catalina seems to be playing around with my window size and position. It keeps making the window smaller, if I change for example from a 'view actual size' back to 'fit to screen' I get a small window..very annoying. If I open another project, it will change the window size again!
However, the really, really annoying element is that my twin tool settings are acting like there are ghosts in the belfry. I always use the right tool for cutting with a blade. Never use it for anything else. The left one is used either for a scoring tool that I have set up (left tool/cut lines/ 255 force) or I change it for pen settings.
So I make my design, set my score lines to pink and set up for the left tool. Set the outer cut line to default. Go to send it to my Silver Bullet Platinum and it uses the same force on the left tool as it does for the right. This usually results in my having to ungroup it all and switch lines off, just so I can get them done with the original setting. This is a pain and I am not enjoying cutting at the moment because of it.
I'm guessing this is caused by Catalina because it wasn't an issue before - although I was finding SCAL would only open half way down my screen, even then!
SandyMcC

Re: SCAL 5Pro and Catalina

Post by SandyMcC »

I know that Catalina issues are the #1 priority right now because quite a few have popped up since it was released. Since the Check for Updates feature doesn't work, please verify that when you open SCAL5, it says 5.024 in the flash window or go to Help>About Sure Cuts A Lot and make sure the version you're actually running says 5.024. If not, then go to Craft Edge's web site and update and see if these issues are resolved. It not, post back and I'll check on my Mac to see if I get the same thing. I don't regularly use my Mac... in fact, I only use it for verifying things like this or helping my Mac customers. So, I haven't used SCAL5 much since updating to Catalina.
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

Yes, it is V5.024, in fact I downloaded it again today, to check if there had been any minor updates and it's still the same.
I also discovered today that if I try viewing the font list in the text box, rather than my usual method of through the library window, the names of the fonts are not legible as you can only see the top half of the names....

I just knew that a new Mac OS was going to mess things up...

sandra
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

Yes it is V5.024.
Also issue with the font list - I can't read it in the font window as only the top half shows!
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

(1) Regarding the Screen issue... I was definitely able to duplicate that one.

(2) The two tool issue isn't happening on my Skycut D24 which is as close to your SB that I have available to test. I sent two circles with the left tool set to full force and right tool set to a minimum force and the head didn't drop at all on the right side (as expected) but did drop with tremendous force on the left. So, this must be a SB-specific issue. When I was beta-testing SCAL5 two years ago on 7 different KNK Models, there were different bugs on different models and differences between PC version and Mac version with regards to these bugs. So, it's not surprising that I'm not seeing the same thing. But I'm sure it'll get addressed along with these other issues you've having.

(3) I'm not understanding the font list issue. I checked the 3 places where I can view the font list (Text>Font, Text Panel, and Library>Fonts tab) and in all 3, I see the list and can scroll up and down. Are all 3 failing for you? Can you possible post a screenshot?

I'll send an email in and make sure that Brandon is aware of your issue. I don't always get a response to my emails but in the last one I received a few days ago he mentioned that he's working exclusively on Catalina-caused issues right now.
Sandy McCauley
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

The font name issue is in the Text box, the scroll down looks like double dutch..can't read the names of the fonts at all, although I can see the font example to the right of it.. Access from the Library window is fine, which is why I have only just noticed it.

I've done a lot of beta testing for Brandon, done loads of videos on SCAL etc and normally get replies to my emails, but this time no...I can't make any videos on using it at the moment because it's a hot mess..

On the two tool issue, try doing an outer cut line and put something inside it and group it, see what happens then if the two tools have different settings. I am using the right tool, light pressure to cut the outer lines and have the left tool doing the inner design with a higher force.
talphonse

Post by talphonse »

I upgraded my Mac OS to Catalina this week - not knowing it would render my cutting software useless (Cuts Alot 2)

I purchased the upgrade for Sure Cuts Alot Pro 5 and downloaded it.

When trying to open the application, I am getting "The application failed to initialize: Error 2554" and it does not allow the software to open.

My system - Mac OS Catalina 10.15

Help
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

I've had an email from Brandon now, so hopefully this will be sorted soon...:)
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

So happy to read this! And I expected you were the same Createinspain who has cutting files in the Library and also has videos on You Tube. Thank you so much for the video on Scan2Cut. Thanks to it, I was able to write up tutorials for the KNK Maxx and Zing cutters a number of years ago. Well done!
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

talphonse, you'll probably need to start a support ticket on this. Here's the link: http://www.craftedge.com/support/support_form.php

Note that losing SCAL2 is the result of Apple deciding to discontinue any and all 32 bit programs from working by coming out with the Catalina version. If you have a Cricut Expressions you were using for cutting, you may want to go back to pre-Catalina since SCAL versions after SCAL2 were not legally permitted to work with Cricut cutters.
Sandy McCauley