The Font Thing - Font Manager

lovebeingamom

Re: The Font Thing - Font Manager

Post by lovebeingamom »

Gardenwife wrote:
lovebeingamom wrote:O.K. now I'm a bit confused. How do you have fonts in the font thing without them being installed?
That's the nature of how font managers work. The font files are not "in" The Font Thing (TFT), but are still on your computer's hard drive where they always were. When you use TFT to uninstall fonts, the files remain on the hard drive as always, but they become invisible to Windows in that Windows won't load and use them in programs. This frees up system resources. So, if you use TFT to uninstall (deactivate) all but your most-used fonts, your system will run much more smoothly and likely be faster. When you want a font for a certain task, you just go to TFT and install (reactivate) the font you want to use.

Hope that makes better sense! :)

WOW!!! YES, that makes perfect sense. I had no idea, I'm gonna have to work on this I need more space :lol:
Last edited by lovebeingamom on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

Softpedia site is safe for downloads, too:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Fon ... hing.shtml
That's not cat hair; those are embellishments.
Gardenwife's Plot
Jiminy Cricut - Considering selling this domain name. Not sure what I want to do with it!
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

Now, remember, the files are still going to be on your hard drive and taking up space. The nice thing is, you could copy your specialty fonts to a CD or flash thumb drive, then delete them from your hard drive they're not taking up space on your hard drive. Just make sure to make a backup of the fonts on another CD or flash drive!

TFT can browse those external media, too, so you can install fonts from them just like they're on your hard drive.
Gardenwife's Plot
Jiminy Cricut - Considering selling this domain name. Not sure what I want to do with it!
feather917

Post by feather917 »

I read about The Font Thing, and actually downloaded it, but then I didn't understand what the heck to do with it once I got it on my 'puter. So, you are supposed to open up the Font Thing and uninstall your fonts? But you won't really be uninstalling them? Cuz I'll be really, really upset if I do that and then I don't have any of my fonts anymore.
Gardenwife

Post by Gardenwife »

Your font files won't go anywhere, honest! They'll all still be on your hard drive, but they won't be active. Each font that's active sucks up system resources (RAM). By disabling a lot of your fonts, you free up system resources.

The only way you'll end up with missing fonts is if you delete them. Just uninstall them.

Hope that makes sense. ;)
feather917 wrote:I read about The Font Thing, and actually downloaded it, but then I didn't understand what the heck to do with it once I got it on my 'puter. So, you are supposed to open up the Font Thing and uninstall your fonts? But you won't really be uninstalling them? Cuz I'll be really, really upset if I do that and then I don't have any of my fonts anymore.
Gardenwife's Plot
dgrant

Post by dgrant »

just download Font Thing... when I attempt to change compatibility; the following message appears"

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which was used in previous versions of Windows and it is not supported in Windows Vista.

For more information, see Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) is no longer included with Windows on the Microsoft support website.
stargazer20

Post by stargazer20 »

well i just downloaded and installed it last night on a vista machine and didn't have to do anything with compatibility mode...
Jodi
jwallen543

Post by jwallen543 »

when i uninstall a font it puts it in my recycle bin so if i empty the bin then will i lose my font?
ranchin

Post by ranchin »

After reading all the great reviews, I jusst downloaded TFT. I have a couple of questions...When I want to install a font that I had previously uninstalled, how do I do this? The "install" icon is grayed out. Also, when I download a free font now, where to I extract it to? The same way I did before...in my C: fonts folder or somewhere else?? This is all new to me but I am SO anxious to start playing with my new SCAL and all the fonts available.
swirliepants

Post by swirliepants »

I installed the Font Thing and then inkscape stopped working and my fonts got all wonky. I did a system restore because I am sure I did something wrong. I guess I will have to wait to find out more