Importing Inkscape SVG with filters into SCAL 4 Pro

General discussion about Inkscape
ljburton

Importing Inkscape SVG with filters into SCAL 4 Pro

Post by ljburton »

Hey - Hoping someone can help :)

I'm using Inkscape 0.92 + SCAL 4 Pro + Windows 10.

I prefer to import my Inkscape artwork as SVGs into SCAL - as opposed to importing as Trace Image.

I'm having 2 issues:

While SCAL does a good job importing the paths, stroke colors, and fills, it alters stroke widths. This isn't a huge problem - I consider it part of the post-import cleanup. But I'm wondering if there's a setting or adjustment I can make to keep the stroke widths intact?

My bigger problem is that SCAL doesn't seem to import Inkscape flilters. For example, Filters > Shadows and Glows > Drop Shadow applied to an object. I also don't see a SCAL filter for drop shadows. Is there something I'm missing / doing wrong / could work around?

I've attached an example Inkscape SVG. Any advice would be massively appreciated!
Attachments
dropshadow.svg
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
SandyMcC

Re: Importing Inkscape SVG with filters into SCAL 4 Pro

Post by SandyMcC »

The only way to get the filter into SCAL is to export as PNG from Inkscape. Then you have two options in SCAL from there:

(1) Use File>Import and the PNG will not only import the image showing the filter but will also add the cut line around the shape. You'll see two layers grouped on the Layers Panel and the product is ready for a PNC operation with no changes needed.

(2) Use File>Place Image to import the PNG image. Then use File>Import to import the SVG file and overlay it.

Obviously, the first option is easier but there's always the possibility that the cut lines may not be exactly what you want. In that event, the second option would be chosen.

Regarding the stroke width, it appears that SCAL doesn't import the sizing. So, I don't think there's a current work-around for that. But if export as PNG, then you'll have the stroke width you want for the printing.
Attachments
path815.png
path815.png (33.19 KiB) Viewed 12891 times
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
ljburton

Post by ljburton »

Hey Sandy - Thanks so much for the fast reply! You are a Goddess :)

Do you know if SCAL has a way to suggest future features?

SCAL is about a milometer shy of being a stand-alone tool - if it had drop shadows and maybe one or two other filters, I could skip Inkscape for most projects.

Hope you're having an excellent weekend!

- Lisa
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

You're welcome!

There is a Wish List section at this forum. You can use that to submit your suggestions for future upgrades.

Regarding the filter you used to create the image you posted in this thread, check out the Gradient Fill in SCAL4. I'm fairly certain you can achieve the same look using it. :)
Sandy McCauley
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

There is actually a third option that will give you both the filters and your cutting lines in one file with correct alignment. In the Inkscape preferences make sure that the Bitmaps preferences is set to whatever dpi you prefer for images, then select all parts of your work that you want to turn into an image. Next use Edit/Make a bitmap copy to create a png within the svg file. Unless your Inkscape preferences are set to embed images automatically you will need to embed the image in the svg (Extensions/Images/Embed images).

Also, you mention importing svg files in SCAL. Did you know that you can send your work directly from Inkscape (or AI) to SCAL? http://www.craftedge.com/download/download_extras.php
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Thanks so much, Heather! I will definitely add this to my tech support notes. :)
Sandy McCauley