Cutting Fabric

For your help and questions
carolbly

Cutting Fabric

Post by carolbly »

My apologies in advance if my question isn't clear, but here goes...
I've been experimenting (successfully) with cutting fabric. However, now I want to cut the fabric such that once it's weeded, the remaining pieces are still affixed to an iron-able backing so that I can peel the entire set of pieces, in their proper places, off the mat to flip the backing over onto whatever it's going to be ironed onto. I'm imagining something like what we do with heat transfer vinyl, but with fabric instead of vinyl.
I'm working on old black and white photos, and want to use this process for layering intricately cut shades of gray, black and white, upon each other.
Hopefully, this will make sense to someone.
Again, what should be the bottom layer next to the mat that has a sticky surface for the fabric on top, and can withstand the heat of an iron?
Thanks so much!!!
Carol Bly
Happy user of a 24 Silver Bullet
SandyMcC

Re: Cutting Fabric

Post by SandyMcC »

Just to clarify, you're trying to make your own Heat Transfer Fabric, so to speak? Something like this: https://knkusa.com/product/fashion-flex/
Sandy McCauley
Owner of http://www.iloveknk.com/
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

Thanks Sandy, but not exactly. It appears that the information you sent is about a product that is pre-printed. I'm looking for something to be able to lift all the cut pieces, intact, and then flip them onto another layer of fabric cuttings, where they will be all fused together.
Imagine cutting heat transfer vinyl. Once the cutter has done its work, we weed the extraneous pieces. The pieces we want to use are all lying, face down, on what looks like a clear piece of plastic. We lift the plastic with all our vinyl pieces just where we want them, and flip it over onto a tee shirt, to iron it down. It's the equivalent of the clear piece of plastic that I'm looking for, to use with fabric. I trying to figure out how I can affix my stiff fabric to something that will allow me to cut intricate pieces, and after weeding will allow me to lift my many cut pieces and then set them on top of fabric to be ironed down. Just like we do with heat transfer vinyl.
Here's an applique of did of my mother from a photo taken about 1940. As I moved up in the value scale, the pieces became more and more intricate. Transferring them from the mat to the picture would be ever so much easier if I could bring them in as a set. Doing it that way would help with creating a perfect alignment, too.
Hopefully this makes more sense. Sorry the image is so huge. I'm working on my little tablet right now, so I can't reduce the image. Walk across the room and view it from a distance. It looks much better. Lol
Again,
Thanks so much!
MomFaceBookFabric.jpg
MomFaceBookFabric.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5690 times
Carol Bly
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

Hopefully this image is smaller on your device.
Attachments
14344109_1180237708681740_2546523181876098781_n.jpg
14344109_1180237708681740_2546523181876098781_n.jpg (209.41 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
Carol Bly
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I understood that you wanted to use your own fabric. My point was that you essentially want to make your own version of what I posted... an HTV application that's fabric versus vinyl. Rhinestone transfer tape should work if the fabric will be stabilized enough for cutting. It's what they use for transferring rhinestones to then be pressed onto a garment, thus it is very sticky and it can withstand the heat temperatures and press times required. I can try a test for you.
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

I tested out rhinestone transfer tape and it did work. The cotton fabric I cut was stabilized enough for cutting. I brayered well before cutting and I brayered well before weeding. However, depending on the density and thickness of the fabric you're cutting it may not be sticky enough. Here are some photos.
IMG_4166_resize.JPG
IMG_4166_resize.JPG (542.98 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
IMG_4169_resize.JPG
IMG_4169_resize.JPG (673.8 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Sandy McCauley
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

Wow, Sandy. That looks like it has serious possibilities!
Thank you so much. We're getting ready to go on a trip. I'll certainly try this out and post my results, upon our return.
Best regards,
Carol
Carol Bly
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

Sandy,
I should be doing other things, but I just can't stop thinking about the "transfer tape." Lol

I will try your strategy first. But then I'm thinking I might try this:

Step 1 - Pre-treat fabric by stiffening with Terial Magic and then iron onto Wonder Under or Steam a Seam

Step 2 - Prep layers to cut fabric
Top - Fabric ironed onto Wonder Under
Middle - Layer of Wonder Under backing paper
Bottom - Mat

Step 3 - Cut and weed

Step 4 - Prep layers to remove cut pieces from mat
Top - Transfer Tape pressed onto cut fabric pieces
Middle - Remaining cut fabric - preferably just fabric, not through paper(??)
Bottom - Mat

My theory is that using these steps would enable me to have the iron-on material left on the back of the fabric and ready for ironing (in place) when I carefully lift it from the mat, with the transfer tape.

This is like a major, mental breakthrough. I'm so excited.
But for now, I need to get ready for my trip!
Carol Bly
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

Duh, yes! lol I should have thought of that! lol
Sandy McCauley
SandyMcC

Post by SandyMcC »

And you don't have to remember to mirror your images, either! :)
Sandy McCauley