Ski Wax Irons for Heat Transfer Vinyls

For your help and questions
carolbly

Ski Wax Irons for Heat Transfer Vinyls

Post by carolbly »

I am really enjoying using SCAL and my Silver Bullet to cut heat transfer vinyl to decorate tee shirts for my grandchildren. I've been using both a Rowenta and a T-Fal iron with good, but uneven results. Sometimes the iron seemed to be too hot and other times not hot enough. Using an infrared heat detector I realized that the T-Fal was heating to crazy-high temperatures - helpful for professional level vinyls (needing temperatures of 305-350 degrees), but a bit scary to realize it heats 200 degrees higher than the Rowenta.
After doing some research, I'm thinking that a ski wax iron might be good for my home use, as they are designed for higher temperatures. Has anyone tried this? Pros - Cons?
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks so much,
Carol
Carol Bly
Happy user of a 24 Silver Bullet
pastda3

Re: Ski Wax Irons for Heat Transfer Vinyls

Post by pastda3 »

I just wanted to say that I NEVER would've thought of this as an alternative!!! Sounds like a good idea. :idea: Now I'm wondering if it would work. :?:
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

The heat press is obviously a better option, but my space is very limited. It's already full of machines - sewing (3), machine embroidery, weaving loom, knitting device, and the list goes on. That doesn't take into consideration my books, fabric, yarn and vast collection of threads and tools.
I've ordered a ski wax iron that is under $60, and can be hung by a hook on my door. Fingers crossed it works. It arrives today!
Carol Bly
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

Update - tried out the Swix Waxing Iron: T75: Tune Up. Very nice size, portable, conceptually seems to be perfect for my purpose. HOWEVER, although the wax iron has settings that will take it from 212F to 320F, it never reached 200F...much less higher.
I'm going to send this one back and try again. In the meantime, I tried my wonky T-Fal that promptly melted the plastic because it got too hot. Time to throw the T-Fal away!
Carol Bly
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

HOORAY! The replacement ski wax iron works like a charm. Doing a little happy dance as I affix designs to tee shirts.
Carol Bly
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

That's great to hear!!! A less expensive option than a heatpress. At least it would be for my needs. Which vinyl are you using and where did you order your iron from? You sound like a jack of all trades. Would love to see some of your work. :) Thanks for sharing your results.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
carolbly

Post by carolbly »

I read H & H from a forum (maybe this one??), and recently ordered several rolls from them. The was filled quickly, filled with nice quality vinyl. I will be using them again and again, I'm sure.
I bought my iron through Amazon. There are several online that seem to be reasonably well rated.
An update on my temperature readings...I've switched to using a probe that I use for cooking. I put a sheet of ironing Teflon over the probe, and set the iron on top of it. It has a digitized reading that sounds a signal when the desired temperature is reached. Mine happens to be a Polder, but there are many out there.
And last, yes I am eclectic in my interests. The good thing is that my tools overlap my interests. For example, the metal dental picks and probes I use for machine embroidery are perfect for weeding vinyl.
Best regards,
Carol
Carol Bly
crafterry

Post by crafterry »

carolbly wrote:I read H & H from a forum (maybe this one??), and recently ordered several rolls from them. The was filled quickly, filled with nice quality vinyl. I will be using them again and again, I'm sure.
I bought my iron through Amazon. There are several online that seem to be reasonably well rated.
An update on my temperature readings...I've switched to using a probe that I use for cooking. I put a sheet of ironing Teflon over the probe, and set the iron on top of it. It has a digitized reading that sounds a signal when the desired temperature is reached. Mine happens to be a Polder, but there are many out there.
And last, yes I am eclectic in my interests. The good thing is that my tools overlap my interests. For example, the metal dental picks and probes I use for machine embroidery are perfect for weeding vinyl.
Best regards,
Carol
I don't have a heat press as well so I used my Rowenta iron. It worked very well, though the biggest thing was not moving the iron and it doesn't work for bigger vinyl patterns. I decided that it's time to search for another option and gladly I found both of your topics (here and on the other forum), Carol. So now I'm waiting for my own ski wax. Just came to say thank you for sharing your tips :)
Sincerely,
Terry.