Combining love of Cut Files with Sewing

For your help and questions
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Combining love of Cut Files with Sewing

Post by sstehman »

I know this is an odd topic, but advances in the use of technology in all areas of technology, my daughter has taken a keen interest in sewing. As I am researching sewing machines for her (as mine is 40 years old), I became curious on whether there is a way to incorporate all of the svg files we have with a sewing machine that also lets you create.

Anyone have any ideas on this or am I reaching for the moon?

If not, what is a good quality sewing machine today to get her started? (really off topic for the forum, I know). :)
Sandy in PA
papasue

Re: Combining love of Cut Files with Sewing

Post by papasue »

Sandy, I like to alter t-shirts….cut them off so they are shorter and rehem. I make designs with my ecal for an iron on transfer and viola I have a personalized t-shirt.

Now sewing on t-shirt material is not that easy…it tends to roll I'd find a pattern for a t-shirt to sew and use cotton duck or some other cotton fabric. Lots of patterns from Simplicity or DIY from patterns on the web, but you do have to figure out the size :).

An just in case you want die cut you can use a simple image and cut the fabric on the cutter….using fusable backing or a stencil for painting, or a print on t-shirt transfer paper. Another thought is iron-on vinyl cut pieces.

Would love to see what she does! My 11 year old granddaughter took a sewing class at camp and made some pillows and a stuffed animal that was both machine and hand stitched. Lots of opportunities.

Oh and have you seen this technique for using Elmers Gel Glue and tie dye…very cool!

http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2011/08/c ... gle+Reader
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Thanks for the tips. I just looked at the tye-dye shirt. Pretty cool. Sent the link to my daughter. 10 bucks says she tries it.
Sandy in PA
vseprosto90211

Post by vseprosto90211 »

You can check over Consew CP206RL. Generally, Consew is a well-known brand, which produces good quality machines for many years. I suppose this model would be great for a beginner for its versatility. It has more than enough for your first designs.
Createinspain

Post by Createinspain »

You can also get machines that will auto sew embroidery pretty much from an SVG. I have a Janome which is old now but still works, Brother have embroidery machines too. Snag is they are pricey! So unless you win the lottery or find one going cheap..