Inkscape score lines not cutting with SCAL

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
lnorris21

Inkscape score lines not cutting with SCAL

Post by lnorris21 »

I created a card SVG in Inkscape that has dashed score lines. The dashed lines were converted to a path and "deleted" from the card shape so the path lines have become part of the card shape. I have a customer who is trying to cut the card using SCAL, but the dashed score lines are not cutting. Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do to help her out? This card cuts just fine with other software programs, so I'm really at a loss for what to do. Any help would be so appreciated. :)
papasue

Re: Inkscape score lines not cutting with SCAL

Post by papasue »

Hi, a little more info needed to answer the question. What version of scal is not cutting the score lines?
We're the score lines on a separate layer?
we're the score lines designated as score in scal?

A post of the file would be helpful too, if it is not copyright.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

What version of SCAL are they using? Not just 1, 2, or 3, but the specific update. That will help in figuring out what the problem is. SCAL1 doesn't work right with Object/Group. Some versions of SCAL2 didn't like filters. Also earlier versions of SCAL have problems with newer versions of Inkscape. What version of Inkscape are you using?

If you used one of the Path operations to combine the score lines and the cut lines then there shouldn't be a problem there, but you should check in Outline View to make sure that they show as thin black lines.

Also, I can understand if you don't want to post a file that you've sold, but if you could make a simplified basic card with the same steps and post it, that would be helpful.
lnorris21

Post by lnorris21 »

I have seriously done everything I can think of to fix this problem. I've even bought Adobe Illustrator, hoping it would help. I've attached a sample image. Customers using Scal 2 have issues cutting these dashed lines that cut just fine with Make the Cut and Silhouette Studio. The dashed lines show up as solid cut lines. So, I'm really frustrated that I am repeatedly needing to try to help customers who are cutting these 3D items with Scal 2, which is not recognizing the dashed fold lines. PLEASE, someone, help me figure out how to fix this for my Scal 2 users.
Attachments
Test.svg
(842 Bytes) Downloaded 354 times
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

This file has open Paths, which are fine in SCAL2, except that files with open Paths can't touch the cutting boundaries. All they need to do is nudge the file away from the cutting boundaries and the score lines will cut.
lnorris21

Post by lnorris21 »

HeatherM wrote:This file has open Paths, which are fine in SCAL2, except that files with open Paths can't touch the cutting boundaries. All they need to do is nudge the file away from the cutting boundaries and the score lines will cut.
So, do you mean that they need to move the file away from the outside edge of the "mat" on the screen?
lnorris21

Post by lnorris21 »

Here is the photo that my customer sent me to show me what the file looks like on her screen. The lines on this box are done EXACTLY the same way as the lines on the test shape I attached in my previous comment. So, I don't understand why hers is different. Her box does not seem to be close to the edge of the cutting area, so I'm not sure that is the problem.
Attachments
My customer's screenshot.
My customer's screenshot.
Serafina's Photo.png (224.72 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
lnorris21

Post by lnorris21 »

I believe I found a fix for the issue in another place in the forum. The file I attached has the issue corrected, by my customer was not loading the new file. She now says that it works.