creating 6' x 7' cutout???? HELP!

Common questions/answers for new users
frizz6907

creating 6' x 7' cutout???? HELP!

Post by frizz6907 »

Ok, so I'm basically brand new at all this and I've already been asked to undertake something very large. I'm using Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro and US Cutter SC Series. I have no idea how to set up my image in SCAL to make it print in three 2' pieces.

Also, I'm going to have to ship it in 3 pieces. What is a good way to ensure the easiest possible install for my customer?

Please help! I don't want to pass up the work and I don't want to do trial error with that much vinyl!
talanhart

Re: creating 6' x 7' cutout???? HELP!

Post by talanhart »

Can you post a picture of the artwork?
Todd
frizz6907

Post by frizz6907 »

Here's what I'm trying to do.

I figured I could split and then close the path a few times to make 3 separate shapes. Well, they're not closing easily. I'm REALLY bad at working with the nodes to correct this problem. Is there a better way to make this work???
Attachments
hole.jpg
hole.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
hylaweb

Post by hylaweb »

I'm not good with closing paths either, but if I were approaching this I might overlay very thin rectangles (see red bars in the photo) on top of the whole path and then do a "subtract" action, several times? It looks like you could cleanly split it into six parts...
hole, "split"
hole, "split"
hole.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
--
http://www.calliegraphy.com
eCAL (Sizzix eclips), MacOS X (Mavericks/10.9)
frizz6907

Post by frizz6907 »

What do you mean by "subtract"? I don't have any kind of option like that. I've got the rectangles, but still confused on what I need to do next.

Thanks for your help so far.
hylaweb

Post by hylaweb »

Sorry about that -- didn't have eCAL open at the time and didn't remember correctly what the menu item was called. With both items selected (the "hole" SVG and the slim rectangle on top of it) go to the Path menu and select "Back Minus Front". This will "subtract" the rectangle from the hole. In general, try all the settings in that menu to get a feel for what they can do for you.

HTH
--
http://www.calliegraphy.com
eCAL (Sizzix eclips), MacOS X (Mavericks/10.9)