Old Cricut and New Cameo Silhouette

Common questions/answers for new users
eaglemama28

Old Cricut and New Cameo Silhouette

Post by eaglemama28 »

I have been using my cricut with SCAL2 and have over 1700 .cut files that I use in my business. Santa brought me a Cameo Silhouette for Christmas!!

The more research I do, the more confused I become...

1. It is essential that I still be able to use my .cut files! So I should upgrade to SCAL3, right?
2. I don't want to put the cricut away just yet, when I upgrade to SCAL3 will I not be able to use the cricut with SCAL2?
3. Do I also need Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition?
4. Can someone tell me what is different in Scal3 and Scal3 Pro?

I am dying to try the Cameo out, but I have orders due this weekend and am afraid of messing it all up....and not being able to work at all!
papasue

Re: Old Cricut and New Cameo Silhouette

Post by papasue »

eaglemama28 wrote:I have been using my cricut with SCAL2 and have over 1700 .cut files that I use in my business. Santa brought me a Cameo Silhouette for Christmas!!

The more research I do, the more confused I become...

1. It is essential that I still be able to use my .cut files! So I should upgrade to SCAL3, right? you will need SCAL3

2. I don't want to put the cricut away just yet, when I upgrade to SCAL3 will I not be able to use the cricut with SCAL2?
Your SCAL3 will open SCAL2 files (at least eCAL does). You will save in SCAL3 if you want to keep both available.

3. Do I also need Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition? I do not know this but lots of folks would say probably

4. Can someone tell me what is different in Scal3 and Scal3 Pro? SCAL3 Pro is for a different group of cutters and will not work with the Cameo

I am dying to try the Cameo out, but I have orders due this weekend and am afraid of messing it all up....and not being able to work at all!
I hope this gets you started, if not come on back and ask some more.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Your SCAL2 software will stay intact and you will still be able to use it with your Cricut.
Sandy in PA
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Remember, your SCAL2 enables you to download SCAL3 for free. And like was said, it will not overwrite your SCAL2. They will install in two separate folders. You can get DE if you want it, but it is not necessary. And, the fact that you already use SCAL2 will make the transition that much easier for you. They work virtually the same, and you won't have to spend the extra money.