Two Medallions with a sticky mat and a sharp blade.

BobSa

Two Medallions with a sticky mat and a sharp blade.

Post by BobSa »

Just playing to see how thin of lines can be cut using my Cameo. If you download the svg, start cutting from the center and make the last cut the one the frees it from the main sheet. I have made cut1, cut2 ... cutLAST layers to aid in the cutting sequence. Only have one layer visible (on) at a time when cutting.
This fits nicely on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.
BTW, it looks like 1/32 (.031 inches) is about as thin as I can cut without tearing using cardstock that is .009 inches thick.
C&C welcomed. I am new at this type of "design". Not an artist/designer!

D04142013.svg
(109.9 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (76.59 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
Last edited by BobSa on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
My current fun/challenge is glue-less 3D interlocking "structures". BTW --- I am CLUELESS
papasue

Re: Sticky mat and a sharp blade required.

Post by papasue »

What a lovely medallion! I think I will forgo cutting and do a print to cut, maybe on sticker paper for the back of card envelops or just because I can. You might consider doing a path/simplify on both Inkscape and SCAL. It will make the cutting faster and on my Mac with eclips did not warp the image at all.

I have an eclips but would love to know how long it took to cut!

Thanks so much for sharing.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
BobSa

Post by BobSa »

Thank you for the C&C. I have inkscape like most everyone, but I only use it to convert a raster image to a vector image. I only use SCAL as a connection to the Cameo so my knowledge of those two programs is limited.
How long did it take to cut on the Cameo? Not as long as it took to get it off the mat without tearing. I cut it at speed setting 5 of 10. Just for fun I calculated how long the total cut was --- 439 inches - 36.6 ft -- 11.15 meters when it was cut on a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet. Yes, the number of nodes could be reduced using the simplify function. But while in the design stage I was measuring the difference between lines and did not wish to impact these measurements by a slightly different fit of the spline vectors I was using.
I did notice some "tap-tap" cuts (very short line segments left over from the numerous trim operations while designing.) in the third layer that I should have fixed before uploading. Sorry I forgot to clean out the tap-taps -- didn't seem to impact the final cut --- just poor housekeeping.
BTW --- I did use painter's tape to tape the cardstock to the Cameo mat to eliminate the slightest chance of the mat moving. I have noticed the mat shift ever so slightly when doing extensive cutting on thick material. On my cricut, I was able to use my cricut mats without any stickiness left at all by using painter's tape and sequencing the order of cut from center to outside. :-)
Bob
My current fun/challenge is glue-less 3D interlocking "structures". BTW --- I am CLUELESS
papasue

Post by papasue »

Bob, You got me! I imported your svg file from the download directly into eCAL. Did a path/simplify which took the nodes down from 2300 to 950. Enlarged it to about 7" and CUT. All the pieces at one time. I decided to cut it all at one time. The eclips is amazing.

CUT: Speed at 3, pressure at 4 on M cardstock. It took about 5 minutes . A couple of spots where the nodes intersected but fixable with the node tool in eCAL.

BEST! No "weeding" with the spatula tool I was able to lift it off the mat and leave the pieces all on the mat to scrape off later.

Wheeeee

Here's what it looks like with some color on my eClips screen.
BobS1.png
BobS1.png (85.91 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
Thanks for giving me something to play with today@!
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
BobSa

Post by BobSa »

Well, here is something to play with.
Started with the outside design, then scaled a copy to fit inside the first, rotated it 45 degrees and then did it all over again.
Time you get to the center cut things are getting real thin.
I did attempt in SCAL to reduce the number of nodes, but regardless of what value I entered,
the number in the preview increased to a larger number. ???
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
D04132013.svg
(116.23 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Bob
papasue

Post by papasue »

ooooo this one is really pretty too. I don't think it will cut the center wheel is just too smallbut great for P2C medallion. I'm keeping them both as they might be useful for Christmas card or Mother's day cards.

I took this one directly into eCAL from the download. Made a shadow layer 2.00, Edit Select ALL and did Path/Simplify getting rid of500 or so nodes. Then Path/Back Minus Front. Adding Fill color.

And if I could make a suggestion: Add the word Medallions to your POST title and I think a lot more folks will take a look.
BobS2.png
BobS2.png (178.09 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
TKS again.
Susan E

eClips2.
BobSa

Re: Two Medallions with a sticky mat and a sharp blade.

Post by BobSa »

Love the gold.
It took me two attempts with the Cameo to get a clean cut/weed. My hands shake a lot these days and pulling it from the mat without tearing is a challenge when the cuts get so thin.
Thanks again.
Bob
papasue

Re: Two Medallions with a sticky mat and a sharp blade.

Post by papasue »

My hands shake and fingers lock up so I do not do much paper piecing. for taking designs off the mat I find this Sizzix tool very useful. Not expensive and works for me!

http://www.stuff4scrapbooking.com/bicon ... QgodSUYAuQ

like the new title!
Susan E

eClips2.