Print 2 Cut with Ecal

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
Tam

Print 2 Cut with Ecal

Post by Tam »

I am needing some help. I am missing something simple and I know I am but it eludes me what it is.
I save a JPEG to my desktop that I want to trace and cut out with my Eclips. So I opened the trace window and got the file on the mat. Printed it out the size I wanted. Made a blackout layer, which was not easy with Ecal it keep shutting down, but I finally got it there. Setup my Eclips to cut my file and what it is doing is cutting out everything inside instead of just the outside that I want cut so I can color it with copics. Can someone please tell me what I am missing. I have watched youtube video's but all they are showing is with solid images and cutting just the shadow layer. That's not what I want to do. Thanks

I am so very upset with this software right now and I know it's me and something I am missing.

I saved a jpeg I got from google. I opened trace in ecal brought the file onto my mat. I want to cut out just the outside and make a shadow layer to put it on after it's cut and colored. But my problem is every time I try to cut it cut's out all the inside parts and thats not what I want. I have to leave that layer on in order to cut but then I don't have the option to go back and shut it off and open just the outline to cut it. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

I Love the Sizzix but hate the software and it's so not supported like MTC is.

Thanks
Tam
gj1

Re: Print 2 Cut with Ecal

Post by gj1 »

CE support is excellent...all you need to do is type a note like this and send it to Support and they will have an answer to you very quickly.

http://craftedge.com/support/support_form.html

I believe, at least in Scal 3 which is similar to ecal, that you can just create what is called a shadow layer, under Object and Shadow layer of the image, then delete the rest. Someone else with ecal will come along and let you know better, but you also have that option to contact Support.

Hope you will begin to enjoy the program.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Ineke

Post by Ineke »

From what I understand you have to hide the layer ? You can leave it on the mat, but hide it in the layers options menu. Then it won't cut.
Ineke
Netherlands
Ecal2/eclips
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

There are now line options for eCAL with print2cut in the "cut line type" drop down box. There are both print only and cut only options so that you don't need to mess around with the layers while printing or cutting.

Is your trace all on one layer or did you break apart the trace? There are several ways to get to the endpoint that you want, but the steps would depend on your image and what you have already done.

You have two or three different options for what you want to do depending on what you already have. You can either "place" the image that you want to print and adjust the size and position to match the trace, or you can change the line types. Select all of the lines that you want to print only and make them "Print2cut print". Make your shadow mat "Print2cut cut" and the mat wont print and the inner lines won't cut.

PS You have said that you are having problems with eCAL crashing. How many fonts do you have installed? Could that be your problem?
Attachments
eCAL line type.PNG
eCAL line type.PNG (22.29 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
papasue

Post by papasue »

Heather pretty much covered it but since I did this I'll give you another visual.

You will want to line up the mat on under the image of course, I just wanted to show how/where you designate what to do with what image. You then select the option P2C and follow the instructions for print, align reg marks and cut. It all works but it does take a bit to get your head around the process.
p2cprint.png
p2cprint.png (78.09 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
p2cmat.png
p2cmat.png (81.4 KiB) Viewed 5612 times
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Thanks Sue and Heather. I didn't know this feature had been added and was giving outdated info. Appreciate both of you educating all of us!
Tam

Post by Tam »

I must confess u guys r awesome and U Rock. I don't use MTC and don't want to start now. I want to use the Ecal software and my Silhouette Designer software. But I will rework this to see what I can come up with. I did not know about sending things to support so thank your for that bit of information. I know the biggest problem I am having is once I go into the P2cut panel in the Ecal it won't let me do anything else. I did turn off my mat layer so it would not cut and I turned off the line color for the first shadow mat so it did not print. I will give this ago again in the morning and see what happens. And thank you all for helping me and I am sorry for being negative, I did not mean it to be that way.
Tam
Tam

Post by Tam »

Susan u have the idea of what I want to do. So now that I have fussed with this for another 30 min. Let me see. I want the image to print. Then I want to cut the image out just around the outside. Then I want to cut the shadow layer. But what I am running into is the image prints fine. Then when I tell it to cut it cuts out everything not just the outside. How do I get it to cut just the outside. Then I can go back and cut my mat later. I don't want to cut 2 mats as u will see. But I am not finding a way just to cut the outside of the image.
Attachments
kittyKat.JPG
kittyKat.JPG (55.6 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Tam
Tam

Post by Tam »

Here is what I want to do if u can understand my writing. I want to print the cat, then cut the cat outline then cut the shadow mat. That's it. But when I go thru the p2c panel in Ecal it prints, let me set reg. marks then when I hit cut it cut's out everything. I hope I am making sense.
Attachments
kittyKat.JPG
kittyKat.JPG (77.91 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Tam
Tam

Post by Tam »

papasue wrote:Heather pretty much covered it but since I did this I'll give you another visual.
How do u go back and cut out the child. Just the outline of him. U have him printed but u don't say how to cut him out That's what I need to know.

You will want to line up the mat on under the image of course, I just wanted to show how/where you designate what to do with what image. You then select the option P2C and follow the instructions for print, align reg marks and cut. It all works but it does take a bit to get your head around the process.
p2cprint.png
p2cmat.png
Tam