Unsure about vinyl

Lauram312000

Unsure about vinyl

Post by Lauram312000 »

Hey all...am I the only one who starts everything very intimidated? I just bought vinyl...and I find myself...just looking at it. I have a few projects I could use it on...yet I find myself "hoarding" it for something "special'.........or maybe I'm just worried about cutting it, that I'm going to do it wrong and waste it and then I'll be mad :)

Does anyone else do this??? I did this with my first pack of Vellum...the crikit pens...oh just about everything new to me lolol!!!

I wish there was a support group!!

Laura
papasue

Re: Unsure about vinyl

Post by papasue »

No Laura you are not alone, especially with vinyl. I had tremors about cutting it. Then I tried contac paper, it is a lot like vinyl and my first project was a bumper sticker for my truck. DH said I would never stay on...well two years later it is still there and looks great. So grab some contac vinya and practice!
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

lolol!!!!! Thanks for the encouragement--the weekend's coming...I'm gathering my strength tonight!

Always good to know you're not alone!!!

Laura
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

vinyl cuts like butter, you will be able to cut more detail in vinyl than just about anything else you have ever tried ;)

Cutters were created to cut vinyl originally, craft use came later when some bright spark realised that they could make a buck out of it, so vinyl is pretty much the perfect medium.

Sign vinyl is also cheap as chips, if you buy it by the yard from a sign vinyl place you will get it for next to nothing, you may have to cut it down to sheets your cutter can handle but that's easy enough to do and will work out a lot cheaper than buying sheets ready cut ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

Louise-Paisley wrote:vinyl cuts like butter, you will be able to cut more detail in vinyl than just about anything else you have ever tried ;)

Cutters were created to cut vinyl originally, craft use came later when some bright spark realised that they could make a buck out of it, so vinyl is pretty much the perfect medium.

Sign vinyl is also cheap as chips, if you buy it by the yard from a sign vinyl place you will get it for next to nothing, you may have to cut it down to sheets your cutter can handle but that's easy enough to do and will work out a lot cheaper than buying sheets ready cut ;)
OOH......I broke down and bought it at the craft store...and it's PCs vinyl...I didn't wanna do it, purely on principle! But I was desperate to give it a shot. I'll have to look for a sign vinyl place...I've seen a lot of folks posting about going to ebay for vinyl.

You crafters are soooo creative, even when it comes to purchasing!!! Contact paper too??? OH MY!! :D

In the meantime...gj1 posted to me about making my own embossing folder....and I've watched like a thousand videos...I have everything I need...but alas I hold myself back!!! NO MORE! This is the weekend to toss fear aside!!!! Shiver!!!
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Most of the vinyl on the bay of e here I could sell at the price they are and make a bit of profit, if I bought 50 yard rolls I could sell and make quite a good profit.. Mmmm, there's an idea..

What is PCs vinyl???
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Deb Z

Post by Deb Z »

I believe 'PC's vinyl' is what is marketed by ProvoCraft; but, unless things have changed, that's actually Oracal 631 (look at the backing on the vinyl sheet).
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Deb Z wrote:I believe 'PC's vinyl' is what is marketed by ProvoCraft; but, unless things have changed, that's actually Oracal 631 (look at the backing on the vinyl sheet).
Oh, right, so they get the Oracal, cut it into sheets, then sell it for 3 times as much as Oracal costs - that near the mark?
Rosie0530

Post by Rosie0530 »

Bingo!

Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

That's who I was referring to!! Shame on them! :)