trouble exporting to svg

Tell us the features you want to see in Sure Cuts A Lot
1artgirl

trouble exporting to svg

Post by 1artgirl »

I would like to save a project I am working on in .svg because I like the preview it shows before I open it. When I am working on it, it saves automatically in .scut3 so I exported it to an .svg. When I re-load (open) the file from the .svg everything is changed - the score lines are now full lines and the object is filled with color. I have tried to correct it and re-export it, but the same thing happens.

I guess my question is; how can i save my project to .svg without it automatically changing the properties of score lines or anything else?
gj1

Re: trouble exporting to svg

Post by gj1 »

You can't...you have to break all svg's apart and regroup the score lines and indicate how you want them to be.
Or, you can save it as the .scut3 and the .svg, and see your picture of the .svg, but open the .scut3...you do not have to change .scut files, after opening...they remain as you created them.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
1artgirl

Post by 1artgirl »

Is there no way of just saving it as an .svg? Is there another program I can use to fix the .svg so that my score lines and the original properties that I create will not be corrupted?
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I don't think they are considered corrupt...just all grouped as one, and all .svg's open that way,...not sure if other cutting programs are different or not.
1artgirl

Post by 1artgirl »

They are absolutely corrupted. I put them in with a score and they save as a straight line - that would be the definition of corrupted.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

I should start over, by saying welcome to the board and I hope you will enjoy your visits here.

You created the image in scal 3 and they will open as a .scut 3, just the way you created them.

This will be something to investigate...if other programs will open an .svg without grouping and changing all lines to solid lines.

I will hope someone else will respond with a solution for you.
1artgirl

Post by 1artgirl »

I am wondering why it is not an option. Usually, when you save a file you get options for how you personally want to format your files.

I love my eClips and the SCAL program is awesome - except for this annoying issue.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

I would say there are actually two bugs involved here maybe..

It would seem when exporting the SVG SCAL 3 incorrectly sets the objects to filled and the stroke style to solid. If you export the file with strokes and open them in another svg compatible editor they have a fill applied.

Working the other way, it seems that importing a file INTO SCAL3 SCAL completely ignores any dashed style on a stroke, so setting the line to dashed in inkscape and saving the file when Imported into SCAL it is a solid line.

If the SVG is saved by another program such as Inkscape with no fill, just strokes, it imports into SCAL with no fill as it should do.

Unless there is some reason for this, and to be honest I cannot for the life of me think of one, I think it is safe to say it is a bug and I would report it to Craftedge for fixing in a future update
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I would actually like it if my score lines could be saved as one straight line. I take my svg files into Illustrator and replace them with straight line so that I have a smooth score line. I then delete out the dashed score lines completely. Then I just indicate that layer to be scored and not cut when I'm in ECAL. It gives a much smoother and professional appearance to not have the dashed lines.
1artgirl

Post by 1artgirl »

I have only been working with sCal. It looks like I will have to use many other programs as well. I will certainly report the bug.

Okay, so you export the file from .scut3 to .svg. Then, import into Illustrator or Inkscape with the straight lines. Then, import back into sCal and edit the straight line to a score? Or fixing the score lines and fill in one of these programs and then importing to sCal?