Easy Cake Wrap creator for inkscape

Tips, Tricks and Tutorials for using Inkscape
Louise-Paisley

Easy Cake Wrap creator for inkscape

Post by Louise-Paisley »

I made a little web gadget to simplify creating a cake wrap if anyone is interested..

I use it to make a wrap for sloping side glass tumblers for etching but you can use it to create any kind of wrap for things like cup cakes as well.

You will need to take some measurements of the object you want to wrap, so for a cake wrap you need the diameter of the top, the diameter of the bottom and the height. You can also give a wrapper height if you want the wrapper taller than the cake and the overlap which is how much the ends will overlap. I strongly recommend you measure in mm as the page rounds values so mm will give you a MUCH better result than inches, you do not enter the units into the page, just the numbers ;)

You enter those measurements into the boxes on the page and when you hit submit you will get a file save dialogue window to save the SVG.

The SVG has a blank rectangular wrapper and a curve, you decorate the blank wrapper as required and then use Path->Path Effect Editor to apply a bend effect using the supplied curve and it will turn the rectangle into a wrapper to fit the cake perfectly. Of course you can also use it to create a wrapper mask for glass tumblers if you want to etch them ;)

The SVG has instructions in it telling you how to complete the wrapper, it is really very easy to do ;)

http://www.bratpack.org.uk/cake-wrap-3.php
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Louise-Paisley

Re: Easy Cake Wrap creator for inkscape

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Oh.. forgot to mention..

You may well have to zoom out and move things about, it was made in a bit of a rush so it just dumps things anywhere and maybe on top of other bits like the hook and slot ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
gj1

Post by gj1 »

So helpful...this looks easy to use...can't wait for the holidays when I like to make wrappers, to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Thank you. I will need to take some time to try this out. :)
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

This is sooo my cup of tea but unfortunately all my Inkjet extensions quite working for me a couple of weeks ago. :)
I had been using this online tool to generate my curves until I got MTC which has an awesome tool for this.
http://www.red-bag.com/jcms/free-online ... e-out.html
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

firstcut wrote:This is sooo my cup of tea but unfortunately all my Inkjet extensions quite working for me a couple of weeks ago. :)
I had been using this online tool to generate my curves until I got MTC which has an awesome tool for this.
http://www.red-bag.com/jcms/free-online ... e-out.html
The advantage with mine is it does not create the curved wrap, it creates a rectangle and a single curve.

You can then make the top/ bottom edges of the rectangle fancy with scallops or whatever, cut out a design from the middle (maybe a lattice or lettering etc). As you are working with just a rectangle shape this is MUCH easier to do than on a curve ;) You can do whatever you wish to the rectangle providing it remains the exact same size as the one supplied.

Once you have the rectangle the way you want it you copy the curve to clipboard, select the rectangle, use Path->Path Effect Editor, select Bend from the drop down, and click the little clipboard icon to paste the bending path - the decorated wrap is then bent into the curved shape complete with all your design work.

For a simple cake wrap with lettering you can do it all in a minute once you have done one to see how it works ;)
firstcut

Post by firstcut »

Oh, I see the advantage! Am missing my extensions for many reasons.
MTC's is so elegant you just create whatever you want (no rectangle) and it curves to fit, then gives you a 3D preview and you can see it slide up and down on the cup as you adjust.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

firstcut wrote:Oh, I see the advantage! Am missing my extensions for many reasons.
MTC's is so elegant you just create whatever you want (no rectangle) and it curves to fit, then gives you a 3D preview and you can see it slide up and down on the cup as you adjust.
Ahh, it has a dedicated feature for it.. I am not at all familiar with MTC I am afraid ;)