Question about Font names in The Font Thing

Share your favorite fonts to use in Sure Cuts A Lot
kaesmom

Question about Font names in The Font Thing

Post by kaesmom »

I've been using The Font Thing to organize my fonts. But I was wondering if I can change the names of them. I have a LOT that start with a number and honestly - it just drives me nuts. I want to remove all of those numbers in the name.

Will that totally mess up the files? Or does that mean nothing and I can call them all Font1 Font2 Font3 if I like?
wreed06

Re: Question about Font names in The Font Thing

Post by wreed06 »

I don't know about all fonts, but I think Windows (maybe MacIntoshe's operating system - Unix?) would be upset if you changed the standard Windows font names.
lovebeingamom

Post by lovebeingamom »

I would think you could go to the file manager (in control panel) and change them there, then they would be changed in all the programs that use them...
kaesmom

Post by kaesmom »

I don't keep any of my downloaded fonts in the Windows font directory - I reserve that for JUST Windows fonts. All of the others are on my external hard drive so I'm not eating up so much space (I'm embarassed to admit how many fonts I have!)

I'll have to test it in file manager and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I guess I can just re-download the font, right? :)

Thanks!
wreed06

Post by wreed06 »

kaesmom, I think The Font Thing has a renaming utility built into it. I would use that to rename font file names. (You do not change the name of the fonts themselves, but rather the file names of the fonts.)
kaesmom

Post by kaesmom »

Thanks! I guess I should actually OPEN The Font thing and look, huh? :)

It's just that I haven't had a chance to actually play with any of the software lately but have been religiously downloading fonts. :lol:
pattyaor

Post by pattyaor »

You can change the names of font files . You must be sure the extension remains .ttf - but I would only do it to files that I have downloaded - DO NOT change any that are already in your Windows font folder, those which may be used by any program on your system. In other words, do not change the name of any font currently installed on your compter. Procede with caution.