Blade Sharpening??

For your help and questions
Jax

Blade Sharpening??

Post by Jax »

I've heard of people saying that using "tin foil" or "aluminum foil" on their cutter actually sharpens blades. I just ran some in my Cricut Expression just to see if it works...I set up a bunch of symbols on the page and hit cut...just wondering if anyone uses a specific template of lines or just cut a bunch of stuff. Also it was a real pain to get the foil off of the matte.

I've attached a picture of the template I used for blade sharpening...we'll see if it worked on my next project.
Attachments
My blade sharpening file
My blade sharpening file
Image_006.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 30668 times
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.
alliellis

Re: Blade Sharpening??

Post by alliellis »

I have a roll of very fine decorative wire and I run my blade through the wire on the roll. It works a treat!
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Thank for your tips!
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10
pollywolly

Post by pollywolly »

I tried the cutting foil on the mat technique only once and it was so messy that I didn't want to do it again so now I just roll foil loosly into a ball, carefully remove the blade from the holder and press it into the foil a few times at different angles and this seems to have worked ok and you don't have to clean your mat afterwards lol :lol:
pastda3

Post by pastda3 »

Polly - I agree about the mess. I'll have to try wadding up ball like you did. Thanks for the tip.
SCAL1, SCAL2 V2.044, SCAL3. SCAL4 XPsp3, Windows 7, Windows 10-64 bit, Ink.46, Cricut E, Silhouette Cameo
***My files are not to be sold and are for personal use only.***
alliellis

Post by alliellis »

Just bought some eclips blades for my cricut expression. They give a cleaner cut I think and they were slightly less expensive
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
scrappindeb

Post by scrappindeb »

I don't know if you are aware of this company to purchase blades but they are great blades and less expensive.
It's SeikiTech, www.seikitech.com, the blades are in a 5 pack or you can get more in a pack also, the 60 degree red ones are the ones I purchase. I also put Roland 60 degree blades in Ebay search and get them from SeikiTech this way. Very reasonable. HTH!
Scrappindeb

Have SCAL 2.044, Cricut Expression
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Didn't know you could use another manufacturer's blade in the Cricut. Learn something new every day.
Sandy in PA
jessie1

Post by jessie1 »

Jax wrote:I've heard of people saying that using "tin foil" or "aluminum foil" on their cutter actually sharpens blades. I just ran some in my Cricut Expression just to see if it works...I set up a bunch of symbols on the page and hit cut...just wondering if anyone uses a specific template of lines or just cut a bunch of stuff. Also it was a real pain to get the foil off of the matte.

I've attached a picture of the template I used for blade sharpening...we'll see if it worked on my next project.

First time I know regarding this that using tin foil on cutter makes blade sharpen.
Sofas Perth love this stuff
Jax

Post by Jax »

I tried the blade and it did cut clean but I tried the "ball" method and it did sharpen my dull blade. Liked not having to peel aluminum foil off the matte.

I'm going to try that site someone suggested. $25 for 10 blades is not a bad price with shipping included.
If you aren't learning something new everyday you might as well just lie in a grave and wait for death.