Difficulty in tracing.

Share your designs and layouts created with Sure Cuts A Lot
ukracer

Difficulty in tracing.

Post by ukracer »

Why is it can can trace some things but not others , a mate of mine has asked me to trace his logo . I just need a basic logo so I can cut some vinyl for him and make him a couple of T shirts.
digman.JPG
digman.JPG (31.65 KiB) Viewed 13408 times
and I cant seem to do it. Any ideas appreciated.

Regards Andy T
papasue

Re: Difficulty in tracing.

Post by papasue »

Hi, a couple of questions. Are you using SCAL or Inkscape to trace, if SCAL which version.

Can you define "can't trace" what happens. Text most probable will be a problem no matter what so you will add the company name etc later. The big letters should work.

Basic logo...do you mean just the machine or machine and DIGMAN. Would the "machine" look ok if it was a solid color without the windows etc. I downloaded your jpg and was able to trace in Inkscape but it requires a lot of clean up.

More information will really help.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

did a quick & dirty trace and got the attached.
needs some tidying up but

Gaz
Last edited by dragonlord666 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
ukracer

Post by ukracer »

papasue wrote:Hi, a couple of questions. Are you using SCAL or Inkscape to trace, if SCAL which version.
scal version 3.053
Can you define "can't trace" what happens. Text most probable will be a problem no matter what so you will add the company name etc later. The big letters should work.
I am trying for speed to convert the whole thing. It does the text ok I think but it not only misses some lines on the digger but is very busy. Thats my real problem as I dont know how to use the cleaning up tools. I will be going away for a month at the weekend and will have some time to learn it all but I am looking to get these t shirts done to pay the guy back who is using his trailer to move my sons furniture as I cant do it being away when they move. Phewww lol

Basic logo...do you mean just the machine or machine and DIGMAN. Would the "machine" look ok if it was a solid color without the windows etc. I downloaded your jpg and was able to trace in Inkscape but it requires a lot of clean up.

More information will really help.
I dont think it would be that good solid colour but the outline and less busy might work ok. But then I am NOT a graphic artist. lol

Regards Andy T
papasue

Post by papasue »

Andy, what it would take to make the original design cuttable in vinyl is way beyond me! I got close but there are some really great designers here who might come along and do you a really nice one, maybe GAZ would like to pick it up....I literally hand traced the image in Inkscape as cleaning up a software trace was way more work.

I will post a picture of what I got and if someone wants to take my svg file and finish or rework it they can pm me and I'll share it. I would certainly not try to cut the final design in vinyl but it will do ok with a inkject t-shirt iron on. I hope you will find someone to help. It seems like a nice idea.

I look forward to seeing the real thing sometime soon.
Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 6.03.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-02 at 6.03.48 PM.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 13392 times
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

well sleep is overrated so I jigged the file around.

try this one :)

Gaz
Last edited by dragonlord666 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
papasue

Post by papasue »

Nicely done Gaz, happy to help you out ! Thanks for fixing up my file!
Susan E

eClips2.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

well it was a combined file between mine and your but I really don't need the private emails so mine are now gone!!!

as I said, life is too short so I'll think twice before jumping in to help in future

Gaz
ukracer

Post by ukracer »

dragonlord666 wrote:well sleep is overrated so I jigged the file around.

try this one :)

Gaz
Hi gas many thanks for helping. Seems like I can't download the file. But reading your next reply I am guessing you had some private mails you did not want. Sorry if I caused you grief but as you will be aware ants private communications you received we're not from me.

I don't suppose admin can shed any light on what has gone on while I was asleep and what happened to the file gas kindly worked on?

Regards andy t
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

Ukracer, I don't know what happened either, but I can tell you that the biggest problem with the original image is that it is much too low resolution. If you have clients that want logos, they either need to provide you with a higher resolution image or you will need to learn how to use the Bezier tool (Inkscape) or a comparable tool in one of the other vector drawing programs. There are several good tutorials on this, but I would try to find one geared toward cutting. For all of the thin lines in the image above, I would set the stroke width to the thickness you want the lines, then use the Bezier tool to create the design. Convert the lines to Path then use Path/Union. It is usually much faster to use the Bezier tool than to try to clean up a trace of a low res image. HTH