Flag help

Share your designs and layouts created with Sure Cuts A Lot
yahooman

Flag help

Post by yahooman »

Ok so I tried to ask a simple question in US Cutters and it went hobly wrong being acused of wanting to steal someones image....Anyway I want to create a flag like this one not this one he owns this one like this one...
Attachments
similar to this just the flag no lettering
similar to this just the flag no lettering
flagtest.jpg (168.74 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
dragonlord666

Re: Flag help

Post by dragonlord666 »

OK so that's kind of random shapes so what software are you using?

scal3
inkscape
both LOL

there are possibly multiple ways to do this but let's start with the software and we can work it out from there (personally I'd use inkscape ;) )

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
yahooman

Post by yahooman »

Thanks for asking using sure cuts a lot and photoshop just always have trouble vectorizing ...Still learning here...I did find this one just has too many nodes

http://www.titanui.com/17053-vintage-am ... vector-03/
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

I don't use photoshop so have no idea how to do it in there. maybe someone will along to show a quick and easy way.

yes, 1908 nodes is a little excessive but then that is for all four of them.

I guess it depends what you intend to do with the finished item.
if you are piecing them together (vinyl or paper) then those nodes are kind of needed as there are a lot of direction changes and "bits" to make the distressed look

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I happen to be much more comfortable in Photoshop than Illustrator, although I know AI a bit. So, if you are more comfortable with Photoshop, here's what you do. Make separate color layers. You'll first want to design exactly what you want to see. Then, try to separate each color out, making it solid where underneath the overlying colors. Once you've done that, turn the selected color black, save it as a jpg. Then move on to your next color. Do this for all three colors, ending with a solid black jpeg of each of your colors, all correctly sized, etc.
Then you'll open it up in Illustrator. Select your image (just one at a time), and go to Object/Live Trace/Make & Expand. This will vectorize it. Next you want to use the Direct Selection Tool (the clear arrow under the solid one). Selected your white space (around your image), and then go to Select/Same/Fill Color. This will choose all of the white. Hit delete, and that will take away the background. Then, do a Save As, and save it as a svg file. Name it the same as your jpeg. Then repeat for each piece. You should then be able to open it in scal2, scal3, ecal or any other software that will open svg files, and it should come out the correct size. After it has been traced you can change the color if you want in either AI or in SCAL.
I hope this wasn't to hard to follow. If you have any questions, let me know.
A lot of people use the trace function in SCAL, but I'm just more comfortable with what I already knew before I started doing this stuff.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

Thanks Mitsim, I don't use AI or PS so have no glue what to do with them :)

I tend to play around in inkscape and find a way or if I have to I look up a tut for gimp and between that, inkscape & scal I manage to get what I need

Gaz