Help with welding in the right place

Share your designs and layouts created with Sure Cuts A Lot
paulntygar

Help with welding in the right place

Post by paulntygar »

I was asked to cut a logo for a friend's company. I first saved the jpeg and took it into Inkscape to make a SVG. I got it to trace but the edges were terrible rounded. I couldn't get am image to trace right. I figured out how to make my own that looks just like the original but cannot get it to weld in the right places. I want the outer ring and arrows to be one piece. I made a jpeg of the different ways I have tried and what it looks like. Let me know of any ideas to try. I am at a loss! Thanks!
Attachments
help 2.jpg
help 2.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
papasue

Re: Help with welding in the right place

Post by papasue »

Paul can you post the svg or the scut3 file?

I could import and trace in Inkscape from the post today, but not sure what is not working once you get it. If you are using "weld" in scal3/eCAL you might try path/union and see if that does it.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
paulntygar

Post by paulntygar »

I am on SCAL2. I am attaching the SCAL file and the original jpeg
Attachments
4e039cd470171-614_460-crop-134_134.jpg
4e039cd470171-614_460-crop-134_134.jpg (5.85 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Broadway Dental.scut2
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
papasue

Post by papasue »

Hi, I opened the scut2 file....although I changed it to scut3 as I use eCAL.

I see 4 really nice pieces, that will cut individually just fine, and then could be layered in place.

You did a great job recreating his logo.

Now my question is what do you want to do that you cannot do? Why would you need to weld them?

Are you going to be cutting in vinyl? or just print it and cut out around?
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

Paul,
OK so in inkscape, select everything and keep doing object>ungroup until the bottom info bar says no more groups (scal will group even a single object when exported as svg and inkscape does not like groups for editing paths etc)
I duplicated the white circle, moved it over and made it a silver/light grey color
Then select the red circle and the white one only, you need those to be a "frame" so go path>exclusion
now extend those arrows a little so the back overlaps the frame just made, select them all (all four arrows and the frame) then path>union
that's the red bit done.
**you don't need to do this but I then duplicated the red shape
made the silver circle a little bigger (211.289mm) then aligned the red duplicate on top of the silver circle and did path>exclusion
then select the resulting shape, did path>break apart
then select the inside circle moved it over and it will be the silver part in the image (a circle with arrows cut into it)**
if you don't want to do the bit between ** & ** just enlarge the silver circle so it overlaps the red one a bit and send it to the back

now the black bit.
select the black inner circle and the outer circle only, go path>exclusion
then extend the arrows a little into this frame and select all the arrows and the frame and go path>union
then just align all the parts and you have your log svg

so I have not aligned these but this is what the svg contains

path2988.png
path2988.png (83.03 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Broadway Dental.svg
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
paulntygar

Post by paulntygar »

Ohhhhh my goodness thank you thank you thank you! I don't know Inkscape a lot just to change and trace into a SVG. New goal is to learn it better!!! :D :D :D You are my inspiration!!!
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

No problem, I tend to use inkscape as I use it more (and longer) for designing. ;)

a tip is, you may read then shapes only need to touch each other to weld (path>union in inkscape) but that can give lines that will cut where you don't want them. best is to over lap them a little.

also, I don't think I said it in my long mini how to :) but when you select the circles, use the align centre horizontal and vertical to get them centered before doing the path>exclusion.

the tube of U has a lot of videos on there for learning inkscape, and it's handy to know how

I'm 99.99% sure you can also do the same in scal - it's just working out when menu functions equal the inkscape ones.
inkcape path>exclusion is equal to scal path>back minus front (or front minus back - depending, in this case you want back minus front as you want to remove the smaller <front> circle from the bigger <back> circle)

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave