Cog power

Share your designs and layouts created with Sure Cuts A Lot
Louise-Paisley

Cog power

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Here is a basic shape seen different..

I will post the info in the next post as I need the three uploads..
lattice.scut3
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 376 times
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Louise-Paisley

Re: Cog power

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Ok, another lattice, I am obsessed with them..

I made this using the cog shape from basic shapes.

Place a cog shape on the mat, adjust size if requited but consider you cave to cut it and very small ones will be much harder to cut.

Select Object->Duplicate, set to 12 columns, 9 rows, and -0.02 in both the spacing boxes.

Select all, path->Union... Wait a fortnight for it to complete.

Create a rectangle a bit larger than the lattice, select all, path->Exclude.

gives you this..
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (171.47 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
Now create the shape you wish to use as an aperture and position over the lattice, select all, Path->Intersection.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (164.27 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
Now create the card front and position the result from the above step over it, select all and Path->back minus front or Path->front minus back depending on which part is on the top.

***EDIT*** Easier.. use Path->Exclude instead of front minus back..
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (95.73 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
Last edited by Louise-Paisley on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
gj1

Post by gj1 »

AWESOME, Louise...you have done it again! I love your work!
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
papasue

Post by papasue »

Very pretty Louise. Have you played with place/auto fill. I find this a bit easier with a few less steps to create this design.

Also if you haven't explored Window/personal library take a look. It allows you to "store" your own designs for easer access for those items, like this one, that you'd use again and again. I find this useful when I want to cut a shape out of a pattern, and it works better than fiddling with adding a pattern to the library.

Keep it up, I'm enjoying all you do.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

papasue wrote:Very pretty Louise. Have you played with place/auto fill. I find this a bit easier with a few less steps to create this design.

Keep it up, I'm enjoying all you do.
Had this discussion earlier with gj1 but wont hurt to go around again in case we both missed something..

The cogs have to be slightly overlapping and are then unioned together, while it seems like autofill is the ideal solution it fills with a gap between each copy with no way to control it.. If you know something I don't then PLEASE spill the beans LOL

As for place.. I assume you mean paste in place? if so I did use that.
~lee~

Post by ~lee~ »

That's lovely!

I've been working with lattices a bit too recently using the Create Tiled Clones function in Inkscape.

To do your lattice in Inkscape without all the copy and pasting, I created the cog in eCal and exported as an svg which I then opened in Inkscape.

Select the object and go to Edit>Clone>Create Tiled Clones...

Go to the shift tab and change the Shift Y under "per row" to -5% and the Shift X under "per column" to -5%.

Select the box rows, columns and enter 12 x 12 and click create.

Select the whole image (Ctrl A) and then Edit>Clone>Unlink Clones (Shift Alt D)

The Path>Combine (Ctl K) and then Path>Union

Save as svg and import back to eCal.
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Welcome to the board, Lee!

There may yet be a way in scal that I knew I had seen before, using duplicate and then setting the row and column to 10 each and the spacing boxes both to .98 and bingo, I think, anyway...I was hoping someone would verify that this is correct to achieve this in scal.

I am sure there are people who had requested this feature, to save on paper when mass cutting things....I believe I remember that. I don't cut in many multiples and forgot all about it...I use copy paste, not duplicate in scal, for the most.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

~lee~ wrote:That's lovely!

I've been working with lattices a bit too recently using the Create Tiled Clones function in Inkscape.

To do your lattice in Inkscape without all the copy and pasting, I created the cog in eCal and exported as an svg which I then opened in Inkscape.

Select the object and go to Edit>Clone>Create Tiled Clones...

Go to the shift tab and change the Shift Y under "per row" to -5% and the Shift X under "per column" to -5%.

Select the box rows, columns and enter 12 x 12 and click create.

Select the whole image (Ctrl A) and then Edit>Clone>Unlink Clones (Shift Alt D)

The Path>Combine (Ctl K) and then Path>Union

Save as svg and import back to eCal.
Yes Lee, I know it can be done in inkscape, I actually use inkscape 99.9% of the time and reasonably well versed in its use.

But quite a lot of people find inkscape too intimidating so I try to figure out some 'less normal' techniques for SCAL users so they can make something a bit different.

The tiled clones in inkscape is really outstandingly good, something autofill hints at but really just does not come even close to the usefulness it would seem :(
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

gj1 wrote:Welcome to the board, Lee!

There may yet be a way in scal that I knew I had seen before, using duplicate and then setting the row and column to 10 each and the spacing boxes both to .98 and bingo, I think, anyway...I was hoping someone would verify that this is correct to achieve this in scal.

I am sure there are people who had requested this feature, to save on paper when mass cutting things....I believe I remember that. I don't cut in many multiples and forgot all about it...I use copy paste, not duplicate in scal, for the most.

Edit: I went back to see the steps from Louise and made this using duplicate first with arrows...I am going to have some fun with this...thanks Louise!
That is the very kiddy right there gj1..

That is exactly what I have been looking for, brilliant :D :D

I never thought about duplicate, I had quite wrongly assumed it was just the same as the inkscape duplicate which basically does copy - paste in place.

I cannot believe that has escaped me all this time!!!!

I will edit the first post to the much easier method :)
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Thanks for the thumbs up and this whole concept as it will be much more fun than plain lattice cross bars. I did note though, in scal 2 for some reason the spacing does not work at -0.02 for the boxes, yet in scal 3 it does. In scal 2 I used .98 and it worked, but the negative number did not. Not sure why...just an observation.