Eclips dead, which similar machine?

Toulouse31

Eclips dead, which similar machine?

Post by Toulouse31 »

I need to find a replacement for my Eclips, it developed the 'not cutting' issue and I am about to get a refund. I had spend quite a bit of money on extra mats, blades and cartridges so would quite like a machine that can at least use the same mats! I have Scal3/Ecal and love it. I sold my old Cricut and I have an E-craft which slips and does not cut well, I bought the Eclips to replace that :-(
There are no plans for the new Eclips 2 to be sold in Europe so that is not an option. I want to be able to cut stencil plastic, cardstock, not vinyl.

What other machines at around the same price should I be looking at?

Merci
*Eclips* with Ecal (Now dead)
Owner of purple E-Craft from hell.
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
talanhart

Re: Eclips dead, which similar machine?

Post by talanhart »

I really like my Silhouette Cameo, but I am a little reluctant to cut anything heavier than vinyl or paper. I still have an Expression that I used last weekend to cut Sheet Magnet. It still works, so I still use it about 30% of the time. Maybe somebody will reply with some more useful information for you.
Todd
Toulouse31

Post by Toulouse31 »

Thanks Todd, one to cross off the list then!
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I would say a Silver Bullet if price is not an option. It's huge and powerful. Will cut almost anything, even light sheet metal. It will emboss on metal as well. But, it's very pricey. It's wider than the 12x12 as well.
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

I don't think that there are any other machines in that price range that will cut heavy materials, at least in the US. I guess it depends on what you consider that price range since I don't know what any of the machines go for in the UK. I think the lowest price machine for heavy materials is the KNK Zing. You should check what materials it can handle. I would also read a lot of reviews on it first, since I think I've heard both good and bad about it. I think the learning curve is much steeper than for the eClips or Cricut. The Zing only works with MTC so the MTC forum would be a good place to ask more questions about it.
Toulouse31

Post by Toulouse31 »

HeatherM wrote:I don't think that there are any other machines in that price range that will cut heavy materials, at least in the US. I guess it depends on what you consider that price range since I don't know what any of the machines go for in the UK. I think the lowest price machine for heavy materials is the KNK Zing. You should check what materials it can handle. I would also read a lot of reviews on it first, since I think I've heard both good and bad about it. I think the learning curve is much steeper than for the eClips or Cricut. The Zing only works with MTC so the MTC forum would be a good place to ask more questions about it.
I don't really want to spend much more than the refund which is about £250 or $400 or so. I bought quite a lot of cartridges in a sale and more blades plus the massive postage costs to France (for some unknown reason very hard to find in France) so am at least £100 out of pocket. I will go and read the reviews suggested. Not looking like an easy choice at all! I don't really use it enough to justify an expensive machine.

Thanks peeps :?
Used to own old Cricut.
Scal3
IndelibleImpressions

Post by IndelibleImpressions »

I know this is an old post and my reply may not be needed. I am about to replace my Eclips and I think I'm going to go with the Silver Bullet. It's really expensive, but I make a lot of projects for craft shows so I need something that will stand up to mass production. I have the older version of the Eclips and it was a good machine to start with, but I think I just need a heavy-duty machine and by all accounts, the Silver Bullet is the gold standard of cutting machines.