Solved-eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

boon4376

Solved-eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

Post by boon4376 »

I am having a problem with the software not cutting on the cut marks very accurately - despite the fact that I am perfectly on the registration marks. (Image at bottom)

I am creating SVG vector files in adobe illustrator, importing them to eCAL, printing with registration marks from eCAL - and then cutting with a sizzix eclips through my computer using eCAL

The cutting is inconsistently off mark. Some parts of the page are off by as much as 5mm, some parts are perfectly on line. Mind you, I am testing this accuracy by applying a stroke to the path in eCAL - the machine is unable to consistently trace the stroke.

Is there something I am not doing correctly? Is there a type of path that works better (straight lines?)

I am cutting a grid of iron-on labels. Each label is approximately 1.5" by 1.5". The SVG path traces around this label closely across the page. There are 4 columns and 5 rows of labels on the page.

Again, some cuts are spot on, some cuts are off by ~5mm which is enough to cut off parts of the label, to be inacceptable. This is all one cut - the entire grid is part of one SVG.

They advertise this machine is accurate down to 1/100th of an inch. It seems when it gets to a new part of the grid, it just starts in the wrong spot and keeps going. The shape itself is accurate - but when it cuts - it just doesnt line up with the actual SVG stroke.

Any help is appreciated. Is my machine broken?,

gj1

Re: eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

Post by gj1 »

I don't have ecal but in scal 3 there is a setting under Edit Preferences for svg dpi, and it can be set to Illustrator or Inkscape.
Not sure if this could be it, or not...just throwing the suggestion to check out there.
Good luck.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
boon4376

Re: eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

Post by boon4376 »

I didnt even know about the preferences menu! It was already set to illustrator DPI.

I just changed it from 2 to three registration marks though, under the eclips tab... I'll see if that helps increase accuracy.
boon4376

Solved

Post by boon4376 »

Well I made three changes, and on my last test, everything came out perfect.

1.) I changed to three registration marks on print-2-cut - I believe this helped it make corrections for any minute skew that existed in the paper, or in the way I inserted the mat into the machine.

2.) Under the eClips tab in preferences, I hit "advanced" and changed curve resolution to "high resolution" - it defaulted at medium. I'm not sure if this made a difference, but I had a lot of very tight small curves in my design. I'm not sure if that helps with machine accuracy - or drawing tool accuracy.
gj1

Re: Solved-eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

Post by gj1 »

Thanks for your update and attention to this matter. It helps so many others when members share their experiences with the program. Thanks, again.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Re: Solved-eCAL SVG Print-2-Cut not accurate

Post by mitsim »

Thanks, you guys! I have always had problems with P&C, but I've changed my settings, and I'll give it a try this next weekend. Hope it works! Would be so awesome.