Not happy with eclips

Titan03

Not happy with eclips

Post by Titan03 »

I have had my eclips and have been using e-cal software for a couple of months now. I have to say that I am a occasional user. Each time I try a project I feel that I have problems either with the software or the machine. I have had my machine replaced once already, I have received a replacement blade holder and I continue to be disappointed with this machine. Today I was working on a project with the kids for 4th of july and for the life of me cannot get this machine to cut out a star. Corners tear and bunch up. I changed the blade, I tried a brand new mat and I slowed down the cut speed. I have tried cutting 1.5 x 1.5 stars, with no luck, i tried bigger stars but corners still not cutting properly. What could I be doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.
angel

Re: Not happy with eclips

Post by angel »

Dont know why thats doing that, but its funny you are having this problem in a way to me because I bought a black cat lynx not to long ago and thats what it did when I cut out stars. I have the eclips and when it tears like that it means you need a new blade, but you said you have replaced it so sorry I cant help.

I know how frustrating it can be believe me!!! hope someone comes along that can help you, or call sizzix customer service, its free tech support and you never have to pay for it, they want you to learn their machine, you cant beat that.

May I ask what material you are cutting and what depth is your blade?
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Acute angles are the hardest thing to cut without some bunching up of the corners or tearing, the problem is often worse with thinner softer materials than thicker more dense ones.

The first thing to try is use a brayer to really firmly stick the media to the mat.

If that fails then try these star svg's which I have rounded slightly, by rounding the points it gives the blade more chance of turning without tearing.
Star-5.svg
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Star-6.svg
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Titan03

Post by Titan03 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I was trying to cut the stars on medium weight card stock. I will download the stars and will give them a try.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Titan03 wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. I was trying to cut the stars on medium weight card stock. I will download the stars and will give them a try.
The weight is not really the be all and end all when it comes to cutting, different cards have different densities and stiffness and it is the density and stiffness that often determines how well it cuts.

If you have a selection of different cards it might be worth trying a few different ones with standard sharp stars, if you find that they cut fine from some other card then you can safely deduce that this card is not great for cutting and reserve it for simpler, smoother curved projects. You will also have a card which you know cuts fine so if you have problems with cuts you can try on a media you know cuts well to help determine if it is the media that is the problem or something else.

Let us know how you get on with the rounded stars ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
alliellis

Post by alliellis »

Really sorry to hear about your trouble. I have one of the older blade housings and I can honestly say I have never had a bad cut from my eclips.
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
Freewash

Post by Freewash »

Customer. service sent me new blade holder design and now the blade is barely exposed at setting 6. Shocking that even at setting six, the blade doesn't even touch the (standard typing) paper. The original holder would not let the blade remain still during cutting but now this holder won't let the blade touch the paper. This is my second machine in 6 weeks and now second holder. Gotta find out what gives because this is nuts!
Bernardette

Post by Bernardette »

I found that tearing is due to high humidity, I installed a dehumidifier and keep the room below 60%rh