eCal constantly crashes when adding text to path

jax3cats

eCal constantly crashes when adding text to path

Post by jax3cats »

I am a newbie to this software but am very familiar with several other cutting programs and am comfortable with how things are SUPPOSED to work.

I am adding a circle to my mat, then trying to wrap my text to the circle. I select my font, resize it to the right height, and click on the path. As soon as I start typing, eCal crashes and shuts down.

I was able to do this one time successfully, but on the next 5 attempts (with a computer reboot after the 4th time) the software continues to crash

I am running Windows 7 64bit with an intel Core i5 processor and 6GB RAM. I don't have any other programs open concurrently and am confident my computer is capable of handling this seemingly simple process.

I just installed the eCal update today. Is it possible that's causing the problem?

This is getting really frustrating!
gj1

Re: eCal constantly crashes when adding text to path

Post by gj1 »

You should contact support with the form...they will get back to you quite quickly. This operation should not be causing anything to crash. I am sorry you are having trouble.

http://craftedge.com/support/support_form.html
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

It is possible the update will solve it, however, I have experienced that when I close eCAL and then restart it the crashes tends to continue.

If I shut restart my computer and restart the cutter, it resolves the issue.
Sandy in PA
ScrappyKat

Post by ScrappyKat »

I am having a similiar problem as Jax3cats. I entered my name in a fancy font (most recently Scriptina) and tried to "convert text to Outline" and it crashed my ECAL. It happened 2 out of three times. The middle time when it did not close, I used a clean, simple font, Arial. The first time I was using Inspiration, so it isn't a problem with the one font. I did restart my computer after the first time. My my laptop has the same features as Jax3cats.

Oh yeah, I just updated early this morning!
papasue

Post by papasue »

My mac and ecal 1.004 is working perfectly on text to path, I did it several times with the circle and different fonts with no problem. Must be another WIN thing. Send an email to support@craftedge.com.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
jax3cats

Post by jax3cats »

I have come to the conclusion that this is just very buggy, prone-to-crashing software. I was finally able to come up with a workaround for the text to path issue; I have to make sure my object/path is HUGE when I create it and then resize it to the size I actually need once it's done. Not a big deal, but just one more senseless extra step.

I am not working on any elaborate or node-intensive projects, but it seems at every turn I get a "not responding" error. Today it took at least 2 full minutes to join 8 2-inch scalloped circles with the layer below it to create a solid shape using the "union" function. I started doing one at a time then realized I could speed things up by doing two at a time. Nope, system stopped responding, presumably while it "processed". Then I decided to see what would happen when I did 4 at a time. I had plenty of time to go to the bathroom and get a drink of water before it "responded".

I use processor-intensive programs like Photoshop and don't have a bit of trouble, but it seems every time I open eCal I am repeatedly restarting because it crashes. I am really starting to rethink my purchase of the eClips because of this poor excuse for software.
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

It would be helpful if you can send a report to CraftEdge and even the file that is crashing for you. If you would like to send it to me too, I will send you my email in a PM so you can forward what you are working with.
Sandy in PA