making outlines on letters and number (or whatever else)

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
mustfly

making outlines on letters and number (or whatever else)

Post by mustfly »

Just getting in to vinyl cutting. We have a new US Cutter Laserpoint II and SCAL3. We're wanting to know how to cut jersey letters and numbers that have an outline. Ex. Red shirt,...we want WHITE letters and numbers with a BLACK outline. I use Illustrator for all my design work, but don't know the best way to do this. Say we wanted a 1/4" outline in black around all the white letters and numbers,...is this function that is done from within SCAL3 ? Seems like it SHOULD be. I know from other vinyl cutters in my town that we DON'T want to cut a little thin outline and then try to match that up. Last year, the person we used for our vinyl cut full letters that were larger all the way around as the bottom layer, upon which we laid the top layer to create the lettering and numbering outlines. How do we do this? Sure would appreciate some assistance on whether this is done in SCAL3 or Illustrator and HOW !! Many thanks in advance.

Signed,

Brand new user - Rob
wynnepam

Re: making outlines on letters and number (or whatever else)

Post by wynnepam »

I dont have SCAL 3, but in SCAL 4, you can highlight your letter or number, and click on Effects, and then Shadow Layer and that will put a border around it that you can remove so that you can cut it out a different color. I would be glad to do it for you if you dont have that option.