Cameo Overheating Question

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
talanhart

Cameo Overheating Question

Post by talanhart »

I have my names for my first 51 decals for my Little League team. I set up the artwork for 120 inches, so I can cut quite a few at a time. Will my Cameo handle all this cutting without overheating? Should I pause it after awhile and let it cool down? Any thoughts? As much as people POO POO the Cricut, I still have my first E and it still cuts like a champ.
Todd
dragonlord666

Re: Cameo Overheating Question

Post by dragonlord666 »

I have not heard of a cameo overheating but any electronic machine can.

I would say, start cutting and just keep and eye (or hand as it may be) on the machine and pause if you think it's getting hot.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

I decided to use my Expression for my Little League decals. This years design is cutting really well on my E, so I figure I might as well use it since it still works. In the past, I would cut 8 at a time and then weed them. This year I am only cutting 4 at a time on a 12" x 12" mat and then weeding. This is working out really well time wise and the sheets are easier to handle.
Todd
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

i never had a problem with overheating.

but I would be nervous cutting 120" long, because if it goes wonky ( such as lifting of the vinyl, etc) you are screwed.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

if you pull it off the roll and let it pile up in front (or behind if you feed from the back) it can reduce any skewing
also you can remove the blade and send a 120" line this will advance the media and back again so you can see if it's going to skew and you can try to adjust if it does.

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

great advice... thanks!
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

remember the blade will add a small amount of drag which can affect the skew but with vinyl it's quite a light pressure so should not cause too much problems but...... :)

Gaz
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

SCAL 2 shut down on me last night. That hasn't happened in a long time. I'm pretty sure it was getting confused with all the deleting and re-importing of the SVG files I did last night. Of course it shuts down about 90% through a cut.
Todd