eClips or Silhouette Cameo

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
Collier79

eClips or Silhouette Cameo

Post by Collier79 »

I currently have a Cricut Expression. I am wanting to upgrade, and I would really like to get a machine that is compatible with SCAL. I cut some cardstock, but mostly vinyl. I have been reading reviews on both eClips and Silhouette Cameo. I cut a lot of intricate designs and was just wondering which machine would be best for this. Some of the reviews on the eClips make it sound like the artwork is very simplistic, but I have seen reviews for the Silhouette that it is loud and that there have been a lot of problems with the blades not cutting well. I have looked through the forums and have not really found an answer to this, so I thought I would ask. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: eClips or Silhouette Cameo

Post by HeatherM »

Both the eClips and the Cameo will cut detail very well. I have an eClips and love it (I cut mostly paper), but if you are going to mostly cut vinyl I would probably go with the Cameo. It has the advantage that it can cut vinyl without using a mat. Also, if you already own SCAL2 then it is a free upgrade to SCAL3. Hopefully someone that cuts mostly vinyl with their Cameo can give you more info. HTH
Collier79

Post by Collier79 »

Thanks! I didn't know that you could cut vinyl with the Cameo without a mat. That is definitely a plus!
talanhart

Post by talanhart »

The Cameo does cut Vinyl without a mat, but it has to be something on the large side. When I do my decals for my Little League, it will be nice that I will be able to cut more than 8 at a time and not have to worry about cutting pieces and sticking them to a mat. If you have smaller pieces of vinyl, you will still need to use the mats.
Todd
Collier79

Post by Collier79 »

Thanks!