What's the deal with Studio files?

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
talanhart

What's the deal with Studio files?

Post by talanhart »

Am I understanding that you can't sell a .sil file that you create? I have been reading on Facebook that some people have been contacted by Silhouette and asked not to sell Studio files at their websites and blogsites. I wonder what's up with that.
Todd
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: What's the deal with Studio files?

Post by HeatherM »

I would guess that they want people to sell the files through their store. That way they can take a cut too.
dragonlord666

Post by dragonlord666 »

I would contact Silhouetteamerica/Graphtec as we had this a while ago on another forum I'm on.

I seem to remember the upshot was if you create the file you can sell it. you just can't sell things made with purchased files unless you buy a licence to do so as the files on the website are personal use only

Gaz
Cutters: Phoenix Silver Bullet 18", Black Cat Cougar 18", Silhouette Cameo & Cameo 4
Software: SCAL 5 Pro, Inkscape, Gimp
Computer:IMac running Mojave
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

Todd, that is correct, you can't sell .studio files.

But some .studio sellers also sell the .svg files on their personal website.

A few I can think of off the top of my head... Lori Whitlock (who sells svg at a higher price than .studio files... but if you have a subscription, those .studio files are dirt cheap then), Kerri Bradford (who was one of the first that brought it to our attention that .studio files can not be sold on private websites), and my new favorite is MissKateCuttables (and she has a free svg each and every day! and some of those have shown up on the Sil store for sale).

SO, as of now you are free to give away .studio files, but you can't sell 'em.

And as stated before, you can't sell an item with the image from the Sil Store without buying the commerical license.
Sweetness4713
Location: Timmins Ontario Canada Shania Twains hometown.. SCAL 1,2,3,4 Silhouette, Inkscape.47 Vista

Post by Sweetness4713 »

A lot of the online cutting businesses have been asked not to sell their files in .studio format NOR offer them for free. .Just another case of provo craft greed.. I know full well that Silhouette is just interested in selling their Designer software program which allows you to take your svg file and then convert to a .studio file... Personally it doesn't bother me as I already own the software... I also love the fact that I now own a software that will open the GSD files...