Layer help!

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
daisygrace

Layer help!

Post by daisygrace »

I have a PC and windows Vista, I also have SCAL 2, and I and need help with layers.
I have watched most of the videos, and specially the one on layers. (Over and over), and I still can't get it to work like it does in the tutorial video. The tutorial states, "That by default all projects will have a layer", but my layer box doesn't show a current active layer.
When I open up a new file, instead of adding a new layer, it keeps adding new pages instead. Any suggestions out there?
Louise-Paisley

Re: Layer help!

Post by Louise-Paisley »

not seen scal2 so not sure, but in scal3, window->layers opens the layers palette, then clicking the icon bottom left adds a layer.
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Post by HeatherM »

What version of SCAL2 do you have? If you don't have 2.043 or higher you should go to the Craft Edge Download Support page and request a download link for the last version released (I think it was 2.044). http://www.craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

Also make sure that you have the Advanced workspace open (Window/Workspace/Advanced). If neither of these help you might try a screen shot of what is happening. HTH

PS: What video are you watching? Sometimes it helps to know which one is being referenced. :)
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

HeatherM wrote:What version of SCAL2 do you have? If you don't have 2.043 or higher you should go to the Craft Edge Download Support page and request a download link for the last version released (I think it was 2.044). http://www.craftedge.com/support/lostsw.php

Also make sure that you have the Advanced workspace open (Window/Workspace/Advanced). If neither of these help you might try a screen shot of what is happening. HTH

PS: What video are you watching? Sometimes it helps to know which one is being referenced. :)
Does updating V2 not stop it working with 'those' machines? I had always assumed those still using v2 were doing so because they did not want to loose the ability.
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
gj1

Post by gj1 »

If we bought it before the problems which force the shut down of it all, we are allowed up to 2.044 version plus a free download of scal3, and everything will still work. It is non-transferable, though. The concerns were about updating the firmware on the cutters in question...would that mess things up...but there is a recent post today that states that has not posed a problem.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27101
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Ahh, I see.

I don't really know much about it all not ever owning one of them, I had assumed that when the poop hit the fan all updates would stop it working.
daisygrace

Post by daisygrace »

LOL! I am not even sure how to use the blog.... I don't see either of my responses.
So thank you for the input, it is encouraging just to get a reply.
BTW, I have figured out -it is (for whatever reason), ONLY the scrappingtable SVG's that I have problems with, other svg files I have downloaded do in fact respond like the instructions/video's do, onto different layers instead of different PAGES.
I don't know if I downloaded it wrong, if it is a wrong path(?), or wrong type of file(?). However I did find a solution, more like a "fix", and that is to import the file I want on the current page and copy it then paste it onto a new layer, by doing that I am in business. It must be a path or the way I filed it. :?
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Welcome to the forum...you will get the hang of how it works soon. Just click on View active topics in the top left of the page and you will get the topics as they are posted. All three of your posts are here...one is just on another topic thread about updating for firmware. Glad you got things to work for you...I am sorry, I don't have an answer, but sounds like you have come to figure what the problem for you 'might' be.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.