RECOMMEND A CUTTER

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
darlenemcg

Re: RECOMMEND A CUTTER

Post by darlenemcg »

I think it would be awesome if some day Sizzix sells a blank cartridge to save your designs for on the go - then you wouldn't need to take your laptop!
saratheintrepid

Post by saratheintrepid »

Deb Z wrote:I just replaced my C***** with a Black Cat Lynx--love it. Best cuts I've seen yet. Little bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

Deb
Hi Deb,

I am thinking of the Lynx. can you tell me if you have tried the embossing / engraving feature? was it any good?

Thank you,

Sara
Penny Duncan

Post by Penny Duncan »

I had a Lynx before I upgraded to my Black Cat Cougar...and I did alot of engraving with it...LOVE LOVE LOVE the results.......
Deb Z

Post by Deb Z »

saratheintrepid wrote:
Deb Z wrote:I just replaced my C***** with a Black Cat Lynx--love it. Best cuts I've seen yet. Little bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

Deb
Hi Deb,

I am thinking of the Lynx. can you tell me if you have tried the embossing / engraving feature? was it any good?

Thank you,

Sara
Sara, I haven't done that yet, so I'll have to defer to Penny's vast knowlege on the subject! But I surely do love it for paper and vinyl. I use it for both craft vinyl, and for heat transfer material I get from my supplier (same one I get my transfers from for tee shirts), and it cuts everything beautifully. The engraving tool is on my list of 'want to have'.

Deb
Penny Duncan

Post by Penny Duncan »

Oh Deb...you are so right....it cuts paper amazingly and vinyl like butter!!!!! You DO have to get past the learning curve.......now that's IMPERATIVE to remember......this is an amazing machine full of LOTS of potential and on the total opposite end of the spectrum from the Cricut....so it's NOT plug and play like the Cricuts are......that is KEY to remember......it's like learning to drive a car....each car is going to operate a wee bit different....even though the basics are the same.......you must set aside time to just play and get familiar with the machine and be open to the truth that it's alot of a machine with endless possiblities and you have to become familiar and comfortable with it.....and if you purchase from That's Scrap Inc or Thyme Graphics you will have full access to the Black Cat US forum and their learning center which is priceless...not to mention all of the amazing knowledge from the members of the forum......
gj1

Post by gj1 »

Deleted topic “black cat cougar” written by
» hbicigo

I am very sorry...I was trying to move this topic to the Cutter Reviews section and mistakenly deleted it. Perhaps this topic can be used instead and the member who recently posted will maybe repost. I am very sorry for my mistake.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
Louise-Paisley

Post by Louise-Paisley »

Embossing on the blackcats..

Embossing with any cutter is not as crisp as embossing with plates in a press, it is simply not possible to get the same sharpness using a round tipped embossing tool.

De-bossing is much sharper than embossing, the side of the card that the tool contacts is de-bossed (the card is pushed in) and the reverse side is embossed (the design is pushed out).

However the advantage of using a blackcat cutter is that you can create and em/ de-boss anything you wish at any size you wish anywhere on the card you wish and up to A3 size. Of course there is no outlay for embossing plates either so one design or 10,000 designs cost you nothing more than an embossing tool and mat.

Speaking of mats..

You cannot cut on the embossing mat and you cannot emboss on the cutting mat, this makes accurately aligning embossing with cut lines a touch tricky - there are a few ways to work around this but they are not 'simple'

However, I am currently developing a combined cutting/ embossing mat. It is early days yet, I have a prototype made and so far it has performed very well. I have more testing to do with different media, and wish to test out more intricate cuts with it before it is called a 'Product' but early indications are that it may well make it to general release first Via Dawn at thyme graphics then most likely the other retailers will begin to stock them. This opens up a whole new possibility for embossing, you could for example emboss a topper and cut the topper in more or less one operation - you would have the emboss as one colour and the cut lines as another colour in your file, load the media on the new mat into the cutter and send the cut lines to cut the design, swap the blade for the embossing tool and send the emboss colour to the cutter.

If anyone wishes to be informed of progress feel free to email me at louise(at)happyhousecats.co.uk with cutting/ embossing update in the subject line and I will email any updates on progress.

I have also done some engraving with my blackcat cougar, the results were very good I have to say. The saying 'jack of all trades, master of none' does not really apply to a blackcat, while you will undoubtedly get better embossing and engraving results with machines dedicated to these tasks the blackcat does an admirable job for the small additional price of the tools and of course it is indisputably the master of cutting ;)
Software: Windows 7 (64 bit) - SCAL 3 - Inkscape - Illustrator CS4 - Signcut Pro
Cutter 1: Blackcat Cougar 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Cutter 2: Phoenix Silver Bullet Pro 24" connected via Keyspan/ serial
Pazzles

Post by Pazzles »

Aww, I'm sad that on the recommend a cutter post, no one has mentioned the Pazzles Inspiration Creative Cutter! http://pazzles.net/store/product.php?pr ... t=1&page=1

It's a 12" electronic die cutting machine, and it's cartridge-free! And it cuts everything -- I like to put it this way: if they can cut it, we can cut it. We're also the oldest company in the industry, because our founder invented electronic die cutting! (Provo Craft licensed technology from us to bring out the Cricut.)

We also have a number of awesome tools and kits: engrave, pen / drawing, emboss, distress, paper pierce, rubber stamp, rhinestone, and pastry. (I actually had to check with someone else, because it does so much I can't remember it all!)

For people who want to do production cutting, we also have a Pro Model: http://pazzles.net/store/product.php?pr ... t=1&page=1

Also, we have the easiest way to get a machine that I've ever seen: $99 plus shipping and a two-year subscription to the Craft Room. The Pazzles Craft Room is the best and most cost-effective way to get images. For $19.95 a month, you get access to over 4000 images (as of June 2012), and we add new ones every week. There are also advanced video tutorials, and voice and chat support. Follow the link in my signature for more information.

And one last thing... unlike some <ahem> other machines and companies, we don't void your warranty for using 3rd Party software. You can use SCAL, MTC, Funtime/WinPC Sign, or our own software (which we currently license from the makers of WinPC Sign).

I hope you will consider "upgrading" to an Inspiration! There's almost no limit to what it can do!
Pazzles | 1-866-PAZZLES | customerservice@pazzles.com | http://www.pazzles.com
Visit Pazzles.com/inspiration-for-99/ for the best deal on the Inspiration Creative Cutter!
Lauram312000

Post by Lauram312000 »

Looking to upgrade...want to spend under $500...want to cut EVERYTHING I SEE...but in reality paper is the big thing, embossing nicely would be nice. And...I HAVE A MAC! Oh how intimidated I am by the black cat. I am not technically challenged...but I AM impatient. That said........I just don't know what to do. Pazzles made it easy--no Mac version at the moment, same with a few of the other cutters out there. But...it'd be nice to get a hardy machine, maybe more costly than $500, made for the Mac, that's user friendly and cuts paper cleanly and accurately, helps me do print and cut. I've read so many things....and I've decided: someone else needs to make the decision for me lol

Anyone???
Pazzles

Post by Pazzles »

Hi, Laura! We have two ways, currently, to use the Pazzles with a Macintosh system. One is with Sure Cuts a Lot. I realize the machine doesn't come with SCAL, but it does work with SCAL on the Mac. Number two is we have a plugin available for Adobe Illustrator 5 and above. We also have a way to get the machine for less than $500. We have two different payment programs: 1) for $199 plus shipping and a 1 year subscription to Pazzles Craft Room. 2) for $99 plus shipping and a two year subscription to the Craft Room. Pazzles Craft Room is the most cost-effective way to get images/cutting files. (If you buy the machine full-price, you get 6 months FREE.) Having a membership to the craft room is not required -- there are lots of free file repositories around. Of course, I'm biased and I know you get the most files and the best files from us!!

Someday, we hope to have our native software on the Mac. I wish it were true for you today :/ but maybe someday. In the meantime, we are happy to have SCAL around for people who are on Macs!
Pazzles | 1-866-PAZZLES | customerservice@pazzles.com | http://www.pazzles.com
Visit Pazzles.com/inspiration-for-99/ for the best deal on the Inspiration Creative Cutter!