RECOMMEND A CUTTER

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
pigtailsncamo

RECOMMEND A CUTTER

Post by pigtailsncamo »

I just returned my Cricut Expression 2 and received a CASH refund! I hated that I couldn't use SCAL with it....and the Craftroom.com didn't work the best in the world with it. It wouldn't detect my preloaded cartridges on my machine. Anyway, what machine do you folk who use yours a lot recommend? I would love to have a machine that I can use to make money with by designing vinyl car window designs and greeting/holiday/invite cards.
gj1

Re: RECOMMEND A CUTTER

Post by gj1 »

Sizzix Eclips and Ecal...why? Because that is what I would get based on reading the pros and cons of all the cutters, and the gleeful rejoicing of the new owners.

Ecal was made special to work with the Eclips by the maker of Sure-Cuts-A-Lot. Craft Edge and Sizzix have teamed up and both provide excellent customer service. I love working with SCAL and if I were getting a new machine it would be this one.
My pictures and files are available for a limited time only.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I am using the eclips with ecal and I really do think it is an amazing cutter. I have used it quite a bit now, and cannot remember ever getting a bad cut. It's so easy to go to the cut menu and just tell it what I using, i.e. copy paper, light cardstock, medium cardstock, etc., and hit cut. Love the scoring on it too. I did change the pressure of the score from the default 5 to a 3, and that seems to work better for me. I take all of my patterns into illustrator and replace all of those dash scoring lines into straight lines, then when I open the svg in ecal, I tell the machine to score the new layer I made for the score lines. It's amazing to have nice smooth score lines instead of perforated lines.
There are other features I have yet to experience. But, love this cutter. It definitely gets my recommendation.
scrappindeb

Post by scrappindeb »

I have read up on the new machines and people's comments, (not just on this forum), and if and when my present machine dies, I will most definitely get the Eclips and Ecal. ;)
Scrappindeb

Have SCAL 2.044, Cricut Expression
AnointedHands

Post by AnointedHands »

I've been using my Gazelle for over a year and I love it. I just got the KnK Zing and find it amaZing. It comes with MTC software which I had to learn and I really love it. No cutter is going to be perfect and you have to adjust to its limitations. I don't like the bladeholder and blades that come standard with the Zing but you can use other holders so I use one of my Gaz holder which uses regular blades. Nothing short of perfection...and at a price I find reasonable since I don't make much money using it.

HTH
Althea
Doin the Bug...ain't nothin wrong if you wanna do da Bug all nite long...
alliellis

Post by alliellis »

I love my Sizzix eclips and ecal.
Allison

SCAL 2.012, INKSCAPE, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, WINDOWS 7. Sizzix eclips, ECAL

http://www.craftoutloud.co.uk
craftsbyalli.blogspot.com
HillsboroHoppers

Post by HillsboroHoppers »

I have the Silhouette Cameo and LOVE it. I use the basic (free) Silhouette Studio and also SCAL3 which works great with it. I had SCAL from way back when it worked with the Cricut. The cuts I get with my Cameo are fantastic, I was never able to get clean cuts with so much detail with my cricut. Good luck choosing, but I think you at least made the FIRST choice well.....NOT CRICUT!
sandyj

Post by sandyj »

I have a number of machines, an expression, silhouette, craftrobo, gazelle, ecraft, a zing and an eclips. (Geeze, that looks bad when I type it out, but I have been on the hunt for a perfect machine...). They all have good and bad points (some more than others), but if my house burned down and I knew I could only replace one of them, it would be the eclips, hands down. It combines most of the good points of the other machines and is very easy to use.

If you have special requirements for your cutting, such as you mostly cut vinyl or need to cut thick material, then another machine might be better. But for an all-around machine, the eclips can't be beat, in my opinion. And the price for the eclips + ecal package at ohmycrafts.com, with the 25% off coupon, is super duper.
ScrappyKat

Post by ScrappyKat »

I'm glad to hear the Eclips is being highly recommend. Mine is currently being shipped from Oh My Crafts! And I'm anxiously waiting until its Friday scheduled delivery. I had to purchase the one without ECAL so I've already downloaded it and practiced. I am SO EXCITED! Yes I'm almost shouting! :roll:
Deb Z

Post by Deb Z »

I just replaced my C***** with a Black Cat Lynx--love it. Best cuts I've seen yet. Little bit of a learning curve, but worth it.

Deb