Help with choosing new cutting machine

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
scarlett

Help with choosing new cutting machine

Post by scarlett »

Hello. I was wanting to upgrade my Cricut but now that I see SCAL does not support them I am going to buy a machine that works with SCAL. Unfortunately, Cricut was the only one I was familiar with. I see on the CraftEdge page they support the following.
Works with Craftwell eCraft™
Works with Black Cat Cougar/Lynx™
Works with BossKut Gazelle™
Works with Pazzles Inspiration™
Works with Silhouette SD/CAMEO™
Works with USCutter™ (MH/Laserpoint)
Works with Craft ROBO/Graphtec™ machines including Wishblade™ (Windows Only)

I've done some research and the eCraft, Black Cat and the Craft Robo look like they would be awesome. If you have any of these machines can you tell me what you consider to be their PROS and CONS, please? Thanks!
Soraya

Re: Help with choosing new cutting machine

Post by Soraya »

I have the black cut: the only downside is that I don't have time enough to play with it. I have been so happy and you can make tiny intricate cut. Besides, the people at the BC US and BC UK are great. buying the BC also get you some virtual tutorial with a real person.

I haven't use it this present because I'm saving it for when I really mess up and are unable to solve it. :lol:
SCAL 2 (cricut), SCAL 3 (Black Cat 15"), Windows 10
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Soraya,
Hello. I see you have the Cricut as well. Is the Black Cat as easy to use as the Cricut?
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I have an ecraft I have not got to mess with it much Because I have to send it back to the company it is defective. But with what I have done with it I can tell you their software is lousy, It has only 1 speed FAST, No you don't need a sticky mat with it but with most of your cutting you need to use a piece of cardstock under it to stabilize it.

Knowing what I know now I would not purchase an ecraft if I had it to do over again
Scrappin My Way Through
Going Where I Please and Pleasing Where I Go

Windows XP, Expression, SCAL 2.041, Inkscape 47
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

I have the Sizzix Eclips. I really love it. Haven't made a cut that didn't cut beautifully. It's very easy to use with the ECAL software. This cutter has some extra features on it that are supported by it's own version of SCAL called ECAL. It's very easy to use. This is a cartridge based machine. However, if you don't want to use the cartridges, you just unplug the remote that you use to run it and plug it into your computer and use the ecal software. Your mat pops up on your computer screen, and you use any of your computer fonts and any svg files. It's pretty awesome, and the software is pretty self-explanatory. And, there are lots of video tutorials to guide you through the basics.
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

I have the Silhouette and love it. Their customer service is great too.
pennsylvaniakate

Post by pennsylvaniakate »

I bought the Ecraft after much deliberation and research. It doesn't even cut as well as the Cricut. I had to get a replacement machine, and then sold that on Ebay. Black Cat is the best machine out there, but at a higher price point, and a requires a few more steps to use (check out Svgcuts review video). Everyone has been having great success with the Cameo and Eclips. Both in the same price range. I have had the Cameo for a few months now, and it is a really great machine. The intricacy of the cuts is amazing! I just made 85 baby shower invites for a total of 255 cuts; not one cut was messed up. The mat is superb. I think that was half the problem with the Cricut.
Deb Z

Post by Deb Z »

I have the Black Cat Lynx, but only have had it since the 11th. Still learning the ins and outs of it, but LOVE the way it cuts--so smooth! And quieter than my Cricut was, that's for sure. I wish I could tell you more, but I haven't had it long enough.
lovemycatkellar

Post by lovemycatkellar »

I too am wondering the same. I am narrowed down to 3 machines:
-eclips Sizzix...
-ecraft by craft well
- silhouette cameo
After reading your comments I have a few questions.
Sizzix...cartridges again? How much of a pain is this? How much do they run? How is this escalate compared to regular scal? $299?
Ecraft...why is this machine so inexpensive? No mat, that is a dream. But what stabilizes it? $349?
Silhouette cameo...is this the same as silhouette SD? Why not this one, it seems like a winner? $399?

Would be great if someone owned all three or two of three to compare.
If my windows computer crashes and I buy a Mac down the road can I reload it if I get the cd?
Can't wait to get rid of my cricut and buy something new!
Also, my price cap is $400.
Thanks, melody
Melody from Alabama
Deloris

Post by Deloris »

Silhouette cameo...is this the same as silhouette SD? Why not this one, it seems like a winner? $399?

Would be great if someone owned all three or two of three to compare.
If my windows computer crashes and I buy a Mac down the road can I reload it if I get the cd?
Can't wait to get rid of my cricut and buy something new!
Also, my price cap is $400.
Thanks, melody[/quote]

The Silhouette Cameo is their newest machine and cuts 12 X 12. The SD is retired now. Could only cut 8.5 X 11.