Confused

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
momakd

Confused

Post by momakd »

I am wondering what SCAL 3 does for my Silhouette that the software that comes with it doesn't.

Does it come with fonts/shapes or does it just use what I have on my computer?

Sorry to have such a basic question but I cannot seem to find a user guide in the program other than the video tutorials. Helpful but not what I'm looking for at the moment.

Thanks!

Ann
jrichards

Re: Confused

Post by jrichards »

SCAL 3 will use all of the fonts on your computer but you can also design files or use files that have been designed by others in either svg. or scut format. I am not sure what you have to do to cut , say a tree, on your machine if you do not have the file but here you could search the forum for the tree, download it, take it into the program and cut it. I think I have at least 3000 files that have been designed by members and posted on this forum over the years. If you can use svg's then it is all the better because they are all over the internet, some free and some for a nominal cost.
Jan
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

I've played around with the software that comes with the Silhouette. I have SCAL2 (not 3). I haven't played around with the upgraded version of the Silhouette software.

SCAL supports SVG files. You can find these types of files in several places online, including some commercial vendors (like SVG Cuts, and ScrappyDew). Studio talks to Silhouette's store of cut images.

Beyond that, SCAL and Studio are just different. Some people prefer SCAL and others prefer Studio. I found Studio to be a bit sluggish compared to SCAL on my Mac.

Both Studio and SCAL are not very powerful drawing programs. For sophisticated drawing you'll want something like Inkscape or Illustrator.

Both programs support auto-tracing and print & cut.

IMHO, if you're just getting started, I'd work with the software that comes with the Silhouette. Then if you start to bump up against its limitations, give SCAL a try.

- Jasen.
Last edited by jasenj1 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phyllis

Post by Phyllis »

jasenj1 wrote:
Both programs support auto-tracing and print & cut.

- Jasen.
How do you do PNC in SCAL? Is it the hinge method you're referring to? Am I missing something? I didn't see any way to calibrate your cutter through SCAL. My cutter is the Cougar.
jasenj1
Location: Newport News, VA, USA; SCAL 2.044-Expression; SCAL 3-Cameo; Mac; Inkscape 0.48; GIMP 2.6

Post by jasenj1 »

How do you do PNC in SCAL? Is it the hinge method you're referring to? Am I missing something? I didn't see any way to calibrate your cutter through SCAL. My cutter is the Cougar.
I use the "print & pray" method with my Cricut. I CAREFULLY align the printed output on the mat and pray the cut comes out right. It usually doesn't if the cuts are very precise, and thus I'm lusting after a Cameo to fix the problem once and for all.
Last edited by jasenj1 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phyllis

Post by Phyllis »

jasenj1 wrote:
I use the "print & pray" method. I CAREFULLY align the printed output on the mat and pray the cut comes out right. It usually doesn't if the cuts are very precise, and thus I'm lusting after a Cameo to fix the problem once and for all.
LOL. I have a Cameo on order :D .