Sizzix eclips + Sure Cuts a Lot

Discuss various cutting machines for SCAL
VickiJD

Re: Sizzix eclips + Sure Cuts a Lot

Post by VickiJD »

Hey Dawn,

I spent/wasted almost all day online comparing, watching youtube videos, reading and learning! Here's what I came up with.

I found this http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/ which helped tremendously! I clicked on about everything they had to offer!

Also, for me, I think that I like the Craftwell ECraft. I thought about what I will use it for and watched the videos. And for the price, I think this is my starter machine. I almost was going to go for the Gazelle, but here's what I DID NOT like, the fact that it has absolutely no screen on the machine itself (I like gadgets) and also that it has to be hooked up to a computer. At first I didn't think that the hooking up part was an issue, but it would be nice to be able to work your designs in the software, transfer them to the SD Card, bring them to the machine and go. My computer area is already cluttered with peripherals and I don't know where I would put it anyway. So for me, that is a good feature.

Also the ECraft does not require a mat. Now with no experience that seems like a good thing, but who knows I can be wrong. I also like the roll feature on the back. I have a small embroidery / printed garment business and I could just see me needing to print out 50 or more of the same design in the transferable vinyl. With this, there would be no reloading, just hook up the roll, set it for 50 and go! If you're not sure what I'm talking about, watch the videos it will show you.

Also this one is a lot cheaper than the Gazelle and as you can see it rates up there pretty high. It is also compatible with SCAL version 3. So that is what I learned today. Didn't get my work done, didn't get dinner cooked, just "played" on the computer. Bad mommy.

Hope this helps!
~Vicki
dawnmercedes

Post by dawnmercedes »

hahaha...well, I have been searching the internet as well...and watching videos...and yes, occasionally changing the laundry! haha.

I should not have even come back for your response now that I see yet another good option! And the price is good too! I am really just trying to talk myself into the eclips. Overall....it's not the tool...it's the finished projects...right? haha.

Keep me posted though. I love what that review showed! (Of course, every site has a different "favorite" machine with more (or less) stars!!
papasue

Post by papasue »

I love my eclips with eCal. A few bugs in the software yet, but I have confidence that CE will do it right. So if you love SCAL, Imwould stll sect the eclips.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
MarieR

Post by MarieR »

I am confused. I go to my device manager and I see nothing that says "unknown device". I have opened everything up and there's nothing that says that. I also get the same error message. Can someone help me? And if this is happening to so many, why hasn't CE put up instructions on what to do. The drivers are there...I see them...I click on them to load and still it says "Drivers installation failed". UGH!! :twisted:
papasue

Post by papasue »

Hi, see page 6 on this post for suggestions on how some Win users were able to fix the driver install problem. You can contact CraftEdge support directly with your problem if one of these suggestions don't work for you.

http://support@craftedge.com.
Susan E

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
craftedge
Site Admin

Post by craftedge »

If you are using a 64 bit version of Windows and the driver will not install, please try to use this
http://www.craftedge.com/bin/ecal/eCAL_Drivers.zip

Download, unzip, and there will be 2 files
CE_SzEclips.inf
CE_SzEclipsDPinst64.exe

Right click on the "CE_SzEclipsDPinst64.exe" and choose to run it as Administrator
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Dawn, I can't imagine returning the eclips for the cameo. I think your husband did a great job, even though I understand you would have liked the imput into the choice. I, too, spent a few months reading and searching for the right cutting machine, and finally chose the eclips. I think it's a fantastic machine. Don't know if you're familiar with svgcuts.com. They are a small growing company that designs paper projects and sells them. They have been trying out all of the machines. Cameo has not sent one for their review yet. They really love the eclips and, in fact, gifted their entire design team with one for Christmas. I would suggest going to their site. I wouldn't get an ecraft, as I have not read very many good reports on it (may be inexpensive, but you get what you pay for).
So, as much as I think the Cameo is a good cutter, I've seen people posting that they were returning them and choosing the eclips because it has some great features, such as a laser preview wherein when you're ready to cut and you want to make sure you have enough room on a small piece of paper, you can just tell it to laser preview and a small laser light will trace your project and you can watch the light and make sure it will fit.
Anyway, that's my thoughts. I think the eclips is easy to use and is capable of growing and filling your needs as you grow in your craft.
Happy crafting everyone!
dawnmercedes

Post by dawnmercedes »

Today I installed eCAL...and used it. And thanks for the vote of confidence ladies!

So..question...
The eclips has the scoring ability...so how do I use it in eCAL?
I don't see a button or menu for it.
papasue

Post by papasue »

Welcome, so happy to have more eCAL members.

See this post, a few entries down. I show a pic of where to find the score designation..

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=26445

It works really well on card stock.
Susan E

eClips2.
lovemycatkellar

Post by lovemycatkellar »

looking at getting the eClips but have some questions:

- If I get the combo pack of machine and eCal, do I even need SCAL 3? (i have no previous SCAL)
- Do i need the cartridges if i like the eCal things instead? i think i understand that i only need the carts if I like something specific on a cart that i can find no where else.
- After reading about 500 posts all around here I think the biggest complaint is the carts but they are not even needed afterall, yes?
- What are the other complaints about eClips?

Thanks bunches!

Melody
Melody from Alabama