Trying something a little different

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
pedwards2932

Trying something a little different

Post by pedwards2932 »

I purchased a "new" used sizzix eclips to use with my hobby which is building model airplanes. I am going to use balsa wood and foam. When I went to sizzix it was difficult to get exact specs on depth of cut (they told me .25mm which I don't think is right as the 45 degree blade sticks out almost 1 mm when fully extended) . I realize I am going outside their norm but I just needed to know how thick I could get with the material. I have ordered some 60 degree Roland blades which by my estimate would be able to cut 1/16" thick material which is fine for 90% of what I want to do. The foam I am using should be much easier to cut than card stock and I got the sizzix because of the amount of cutting pressure it puts out...it is on par with the KNK Zing. I realize the zing is a heavier duty machine but I was able to get the eclips at about half the cost so I thought I would try it. Just wondering if anyone else has tried thicker material with an eclips.
talanhart

Re: Trying something a little different

Post by talanhart »

I cut sheet magnet with my Cricut which is probably the same thickness as your Balsa wood, so I am thinking you should be able to figure out something that will work.
Todd
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

Well I guess I'm going to have to wait it looks like the eclips I got is a dud. I couldn't get it to load or anything.....no communication with the hand held controller either. It would get to the page where you can select a category but it wouldn't allow me to select anything. I couldn't get it to run set up either. Tried a different usb cord but still nothing. I have an e-mail into sizzix to see if they have any suggestions. Luckily I bought it through an Amazon seller and I can return it. :evil:
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

Have to say something nice about Sizzix customer support. They sent me a new machine to replace the one I purchased. It seems the motherboard was probably the culprit and replacement was the only solution. I got the new one in last night and made a test cut and it seems to be working great...really great customer support. I have also gotten in some of the roland 60 degree blades. Tonight I am going to try and cut some 1/16" balsa and see how that goes. I have to make a hot wire tool to make 1/16" foam sheets to see if that works as well. If I can get both of these processes to work I may have a real winner here. Only other thing I want to try is cutting tissue paper.....this can be used for making the coverings and decals that go on the models I build.
DogCarbon
Location: Amish Country, PA... using SCAL3, Vista, ink 0.46 with my Cameo. Trying to learn alll that I can.

Post by DogCarbon »

Glad their customer support worked out! That is good to know!

Good luck cutting tissue paper. Never tried that! does the eclips use a sticky mat? not sure how the removal of the thin tissue paper from the mat will go ?!?!

Have you considered vinyl? That can be cut easily with your cutter. and it has a self adhesive back. There is some trial and error to get the blade depth to do a "kiss cut" which is where the blade cuts the vinyl, but not the paper backing. And then you "weed" the excess vinyl off the paper and use a "transfer tape" put over the vinyl to help lift it from the paper backing and helps to place the vinyl on your airplane all relative to each other.
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

The tissue is put on the model using glue stick then shrunk and a sealer is put on. A lot of folks print the color scheme to the tissue by adhering the tissue to copy paper and then peel it off. I was thinking I could cut it with the eclips after the printing and this would make for a precise cut out. It may not work but I know you can print to the tissue.
newbiecat

Post by newbiecat »

Fascinated to hear how cutting tissue paper was - can't begin to imagine how you can use a sticky mat - and get it off again in one piece - perhaps if it is small it might work

Not that I really want to cut any just curious to know what happened

P :?:
Win7, SCAL3.044, Silver Bullet 18" Craft Artist Pro, Photoshop,
pedwards2932

Post by pedwards2932 »

Been a while since I have been on this forum but wanted to puts some pics up to show how well the Eclips is working for cutting balsa for model planes. It really cut them pretty accurately. I scanned the airplane plans and used GIMP to isolate the ribs and place them so they fit on a 3" wide sheet. I used the trace function on ECAL to set up the cut. I put the balsa on the platen and used packing tape on the balsa to keep it from splitting (it also holds the balsa tightly and provides a smooth surface for the cutting head to travel). Made 2 passes.....first to score it (about 1/64") and second just about thru the balsa. I used and exacto blade to finish the cut.
Attachments
Here are the ribs I cut in 1/16 in balsa I have them place on the plan to show how accurate the are.
Here are the ribs I cut in 1/16 in balsa I have them place on the plan to show how accurate the are.
DSCN1236.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 12038 times