Pressure and depth setting help

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
alexleon

Pressure and depth setting help

Post by alexleon »

Hello.

New to sizzix, new to ecal (and loving it)

After a shakey start, I'm cutting paper but I'm nervous about cutting card. I have some great card stock which must be 300gsm (at least) from http://papermilldirect.co.uk (highly recommended).
My first venture at cutting card, I killed a blade and didn't fully cut the card (so I'm bricking it. lol)

The settings on ecal don't really help me because their copy paper setting didn't even scrape my printer paper. I'm from the UK, maybe US paper is a lot more fine.
So for that I'm using a depth - 3, pressure 3, speed I tend to keep low always.
I used slightly thinner paper on depth 3, pressure 2, speed always low. Got great results.

So...... Finally.....
To my question.....

Does anyone have a depth/pressure guide for different gsm paper and card?

I understand the difference between depth and pressure and obviously don't want to break any more blades through too much expirimentation.

Cheers.
Alex.
papasue

Re: Pressure and depth setting help

Post by papasue »

Alex, I use the eclips and I rarely change the default setting for speed and pressure. I just select the "medium" from the list and I'm good to go. Have your tried some scap cardstock?

We do have some folks from the UK here so perhaps they will show up and help you.

Let us know what happens and WELCOME to the forum.
Susan E
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
LEARN, GROW, CREATE, SHARE

Mac 10.12.6 Sierra, eCAL 1.506, ECAL2.023, SCAL4Pro, Export Plug-in, Inkscape 48, iPad/scal3
eClips2.
alexleon

Post by alexleon »

Cheers mate :-)

I've found I have to fiddle quite a bit.

I do use different papers and cards. Unfortunatly, I'm having no luck with the papermill card. Seems it's too thick.
The fibers get stuck on the blade and it stops cutting all the way through.

Pressure and depth (or either) of 5, just scores the card.

It is VERY sturdy card, tho.

I managed to get through what I'd call light card stock of 210gsm with depth 5 and pressure 6.
It was cutting with pressure on 5 but was missing parts (I just cut a circle).

Alex.
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

that sound wrong, Alex. I cut heavy cardstock with my blade on 3. I leave it on 3 for pretty much everything, and, like Sue, I just choose the medium in the cut window. The card stock cuts just fine. It may be something wrong with your machine, because you should not be having that problem.
Last edited by mitsim on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexleon

Post by alexleon »

The paperstock is very high gsm and very fiberous. I've cut thick card that has a plasic coating and is more brittle.

I think it's just the material I'm trying to cut (possibly)
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

Wasn't sure of that 300 gsm designation and a little research tells me it is about the thickness of cereal box material. It might be you can't cut efficiently with one deep cut pass and if it is quite fibrous that adds to the difficulty. Perhaps try with different settings and multiple cuts to work through the material if that is what you want to use.
Sandy in PA
alexleon

Post by alexleon »

Just found out how thick the card is. 240 gsm. Not as thick as I thought.
I had another go and it was bunging the blade up with fibers. A bit of a shame but there's lots of other fun to be had.
Samantha2101

Post by Samantha2101 »

Hi

I use the same card and have just cut out some shapes. I use the multi cut option on twice and it works perfectly.

I have never killed a blade and used my Eclips for over 2 years!

Good luck

Sam
nhagal

Post by nhagal »

I've been experiencing the same pressure and depth issues as well since the last software update. Using my PC is a bust, period. I do have better luck on the MAC - but it still takes some fiddling. I'm really hoping that it's not the machine beginning to freak out on me... however, last evening, my old settings for vinyl didn't even provide a kiss on the vinyl for several test runs on the PC (running 7). I finally gave up after 3 test runs... the 3rd provided a kiss, but the blade was set at 6 and the pressure at 3, but still not a deep enough cut to use. it's a new blade and I didn't see any chips or reasons it wouldn't cut cleanly.

On the Mac (running Maverick) the same issue with the same simple text design. I've also had lots of problems with other mediums including copy paper as was described by another poster.

Sue, do you have any other suggestions at this time?

I'd love to have the auto settings work as effectively as they did earlier. One thing about the new update I do like is the ability to alter the pressure in the cutting window using the settings button, but don't like having to make adjustments every time I use the software the first time during the day. My settings don't hold over to another session.
Jan
Creativity Nurtures the Soul!
Blog: http://izbzee.typepad.com
MAC: el Capitan, eCal 1.506; eCal 2.030
PC: Win10, inkscape, PSE6,eCal 1.508; eCal 2.030
OnlyOzzie

Post by OnlyOzzie »

On 200g paper I had to turn my blade to 4. The #3 would not cut all the way in some areas. I used Heavy Card stock and left the setting at the default. 3 would not cut all the way in some areas and 4 sometimes seems like its cutting to deep (See lot of scoring on cutting mat). I have left my blade at 3 and played with the pressure and still the same results. Some areas cut all the way through and some are like a hairline from cutting through. So I have always used Setting #4 on my blade.

~OnlyOzzie~