Roland blades in the eClips, and Advanced Settings in eCAL

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
hylaweb

Roland blades in the eClips, and Advanced Settings in eCAL

Post by hylaweb »

The Roland-compatible blades that can be easily obtained all over the place online fit in the eClips holder, but are 1mm longer (24 vs. 23 mm) and the recessed part of the blade is a bit thinner in diameter. Does anyone know what settings should be made here, to get good cuts with the Roland blades vs. the Sizzix-brand blades? There's no real help information about the Advanced Settings area (see below) in eCAL, and I'd really appreciate help from someone more experienced than me :)

Note: Since these are non-Sizzix blades I doubt that contacting Sizzix will yield any help, and don't even know if CraftEdge would be willing to help -- there's probably something in the Sizzix warranty about using non-Sizzix blades...
Advanced Settings in eCAL
Advanced Settings in eCAL
Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 9.38.03 PM.png (95.18 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
--
http://www.calliegraphy.com
eCAL (Sizzix eclips), MacOS X (Mavericks/10.9)
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Re: Roland blades in the eClips, and Advanced Settings in eC

Post by mitsim »

What exactly is the point of doing this when the Sizzix blades are so reasonably priced? I'd be afraid of trying something with a different length and a different diameter. As it is, when I go to my cut settings, I can easily just click on the thickness of card stock and then change to vinyl, and know that my blade will know exactly how deep to go. If you're going to change the mechanics of that, it really seems like your messing with the ease and effectiveness of the machine. So, do what you will, I'd just not mess with something like this to save a few pennies.
hylaweb

Post by hylaweb »

Mitsim - it's not a matter of saving "a few pennies"; it would simply be nice to use a steeper angled blade and cut tougher material -- thus my trying the regular 60-degree Rolands.

FWIW, Craft Edge support wrote me back and was very helpful.
--
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

did Craftedge think that the Roland blades would work, and that with their use the machine could cut more deeply and cut heavier media?
hylaweb

Post by hylaweb »

I didn't ask them about blades – my questions were about the Advanced Settings area in eCAL Preferences.
--
alexleon

Post by alexleon »

Hello hylaweb,

Did you get the blades to work?

Can you cut thicker material?

I'll be interested to know.

Cheers.

Alex.