eClips not cutting through

SCAL for the Sizzix eclips
tinyplanet

eClips not cutting through

Post by tinyplanet »

I purchased an eclips this week, which did not include an instruction manual...grr. I had all kinds of trouble getting it to work with ecal, but after reading some of the responses on this great forum, I figured out that I cannot have the controller plugged in at the same time as the computer. Duh!

Anyway, now I have another problem. The eclips doesn't cut all the way through my scrapbook paper. I've changed the blade, pressure, and speed settings to various recommendations and still, I get a partial cut and little bits of white paper from the back of the paper pop up through the cuts. Is this a bad blade? Is this a small fix that I just don't know? Or is it really an issue that I need to call Sizzix about?

Thanks in advance for your help! Without this forum, this machine would be headed back to Amazon today!
HeatherM
Location: Michigan, SCAL1; SCAL2; eCAL; Windows7 64 bit; eCAL Mavericks

Re: eClips not cutting through

Post by HeatherM »

What settings are you using? You generally want a setting of 3 or 4 on the blade holder and then set the material in the cut dialog. You shouldn't be seeing tufts of paper sticking up. First check that there aren't any bits of paper stuck in the blade holder, removing the blade from the holder to make sure that there isn't any paper stuck in there. Then if that doesn't look like the problem I would try a new blade to see if that helps. HTH
mitsim
Location: SoCal (Windows 7, Eclips1, ECAL 1.500, Photoshop, Illustrator

Post by mitsim »

Sounds like something is wrong. The Eclips normally cuts any media on around a 3 blade setting. I leave mine at about 3.25, and the only other setting I make is in the cut menu, by telling it what I'm cutting (I do both heavy cardstock and vinyl on this same setting). So, you should call customer service immediately. They are very helpful and if they can't get it to work, they'll send you a new cutter. Good luck!
tinyplanet

Post by tinyplanet »

On the most recent cut, my blade depth was at about 3.5, my speed was 3, and my pressure was 4. I used eCal to cut out the image of lips. On the left side of the lips, the blade barely pierced the paper! Before I cut, I I checked for bits of paper and the blade looked clean. I do have the second blade that came with the machine.

I did notice that the cutting mat was sort of hitting against the back of the machine as it was pulled in. It's slightly curled and I can't seem to uncurl it. It wasn't hitting hard, just rubbing a bit.
tinyplanet

Post by tinyplanet »

I just got off the phone with customer service. She had me replace the blade with the other one I have and walked me through cutting something. the cut came out perfect! She says I most likely had a small break on the tip of the other blade from it being used at too much of a depth. I just cut cardstock on a 1.5, pressure 3, speed 4. It's perfect!

I don't know why I am so hesitant to call customer service! They were great!
sstehman
Location: Sandy in PA (PC&MAC,Inkscape .48, SCAL2,eClips, eCAL)

Post by sstehman »

glad you got it fixed and you mentioned the mat was not flat. The eClips works best with a flat mat. Maybe put something heavy on the one with the curl to flatten it out. There isn't much space below the roller on the machine and that little curled part can hang up the mat....makes an awful sound when it happens.
Sandy in PA